Hardtail vs full susp.

Alex007

I currently own a full susp. bike. I'm looking to changed to a hardtail, is this advisable and what are the major differences. Im just short of 6ft 1 and weigh 88kg's. If this topic has been discussed at lenght please advice me on the thread.

But WTH lets start a new one ! Don't do it . I have swapped the HT for a DS about 6 years ago . Last weekend I decided to show the HT some fresh air again and took it to Groenkloof for a outing . Was a sh@t ride from the word go , no sitting while going over the rough stuff , no getting out of the saddle to pedal up the rocky bits , mind you if was a mission to pedal up the rocky bits with this thing . Now I know why everybody s looking for there R1.5K+ saddles all the time !

OMW - Only 74 posts in ~2.5 years!  Kansas would not approve. LOL

PS Full susser rules, been riding one since April and took buddy's HT out two weeks ago and it was horrible.

soft ass pansies LOL

LOL that means that I'm a soft ass pansy as well LOL.. but seriously, full sus is A LOT more forgiving on your ass over the humps and bumps, which means you'll be going at greater speed downhill and sometimes on the flats.. if you go full sus just make sure you have shocks with full lock out for when you go up hills, cos then you won't get that bob.. although full sussers are known to be a bit heavier than hardtails, but if you get a double butted alum frame (super lite) or carbon frame you should be fine.

Ignoring my post countEmbarrassed, I get the impression that the HT is possibly not an option. Surely it also depends on the type of terrain?

Hi I don't know if this has been asked before but I recently acquired a slight back problem, (a disk in my back shifted) it is all healing quite nicely, so would like to know what if any difference does a soft tail make on your back? 

I was riding a super heavy hard tail with a suntour shock, I bought a reba for the bike and some lighter components but thinking of also goiing the soft tail way!

Ignoring my post countEmbarrassed' date=' I get the impression that the HT is possibly not an option. Surely it also depends on the type of terrain?[/quote']

It sure does. Tar road terrain = Hard Tail. Anything else = Dual Sus. With all due respect you sound like you're fairly new to the sport or the idea. Even more reason to go DS. It is so much more forgiving and if a podium is not your top priority then a great ride should be and I assure you DS will give you that great ride Wink

Numbnuts your hub name says it all bro, hardtail or full sus, you wouldn't feel any difference LOLTongue

Ignoring my post countEmbarrassed' date=' I get the impression that the HT is possibly not an option. Surely it also depends on the type of terrain?[/quote']

Yanking your chain.  But topic has been discussed to death, but boils down to personal preferrence.  As mentioned if you're not planning on gunning for the win, the fullsus will make it a generally more fun ride.

What got me convinced, did the route on my HT, then took my buddy's DS on the same trip, coulndt believe the difference, never looked back.

I've found each have their own place but if or when i do replace either it will be for a 29'er HT.