The mystery of the damaged down tubes

Jules

Ok this one's got me really stumped. Hopefully some of the Hub's super sleuths can help out.

Immediately after I finished the Fast One, I noticed some damage on my down tube, just under the bottle cage.

It looks like three or four layers of carbon have been worn away somehow in a space about the size of a 20c piece.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs238.snc3/22571_457856545640_868120640_10706170_7092594_n.jpg

What makes this even more bizarre is that the exact same thing has happened to epoh's bike. He also noticed it immediately after the fast one smiley18.gif

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs238.snc3/22571_457856515640_868120640_10706167_6723288_n.jpg

Any smart ideas as to what could have caused this mystery damage?

Epoh and I stay on the same property. But we took separate cars to the Fast One. This seems to rule out the possibility of bike rack damage. I didn't even use a bike rack: just put my bike in the back of my car.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the bottom rim of your bottle which touches your frame,

Post a pic with the bottle in the cage that will give you a visual

Your bottle?[/Quote]

The thought did occur to me but when I was trying to re-create the damage last night it seemed improbable.

Mud Dee, have you seen bottles do this to carbon frames before?

yes, thats why I have a strip of helicopter tape on the downtube of my bike in the area where the bottle touches the frame.

Mud Dee' date=' have you seen bottles do this to carbon frames before? [/quote']

Yes..on quite a few bikes. Especially smaller frames.

Mud Dee' date=' have you seen bottles do this to carbon frames before? [/quote']

?

Yes..on quite a few bikes. Especially smaller frames.

I take it this happens when the bottle falls out of the bottle cage on the seat tube and then rubs on the down tube?

Now for the next question: can my bike be repaired?

do you guys have the same cages/bottles?

Nope. And my bottle does not touch the frame at all when it's in the cage. I ride a large bike. Epoh rides a size 54cm.

I've seen this happen on bikes where the bottle is nowhere near the down tube. When you have a flimsy cage, especially carbon cages, they can move up and down and still rub the frame. This can happen quite easily if you ride on a bumpy road.

yes' date=' thats why I have a strip of helicopter tape on the downtube of my bike in the area where the bottle touches the frame. [/quote']

Where did you get the helicopter tape?

My bottle slips through the bottom of my less than secure carbon cage, particularly when full and on bumpy roads. It rubs on the down tube in a very similar spot as your picture. Fortunately my frame is Ti so no damage.

I've seen this happen on bikes where the bottle is nowhere near the down tube. When you have a flimsy cage' date=' especially carbon cages, they can move up and down and still rub the frame. This can happen quite easily if you ride on a bumpy road.[/quote']

This happened quite a bit down on the down tube from where the bottle cage is.

I dont think it is my bottles, it has never done that and I have been riding with the same bottles for ages.

As obscure as it may sound, did anyone else have the same problem after the Fast One?