Garmin Edge 705: Is it worth it

mercurystorm

Not sure if this is the right section, but just wanted to get the opinion of some people who have this if its worth purchasing? Im going to the USA in May, and the pricing there is alot cheaper then getting it locally, so considering getting it..

One of the features I really liked is the virtual training partner.. seems very cool to help improve your times :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 705 and I'm pleased with it. It had some niggles in the past, but most of these have been fixed with firmware updates. A couple of things I like which are also the primary reasons I bought it:

- Support for ANT+ power meters.

- Programmable workouts. Very useful for setting complex interval sessions with multiple targets.

- Large screen. You can have up to 8 data fields or else just use a couple but have them really easy to read.

- 1s recording intervals. Essential for use with a power meter.

- GPS data track. Very helpful for going back and identifying important parts of a race or ride.

- Barometric altimeter. More accurate than a pure GPS altimeter and the altitude data help with ride analysis.

- ANT+ accessories have a 3m+ broadcast range. This makes it easy to set up on pretty much any bike (I had to ditch my old Polar because I couldn't get it to pick up the speed sensor on the rear wheel, no matter what I tried.)

I have never really used the GPS navigation features, so if I were to lose my 705 I would not buy another one. I would rather get and Edge 500 which has all of the features I like about the 705, but at a lower price and smaller size.

If you intend to use the 705 for navigation, then remember to factor in an extra R1000 if you to purchase the SA maps. It also costs R400 for the local guys to do a warranty repair on an oversees-purchased unit.

if you can go without virtual partner ... and while you are going to the states, might be worthwhile looking at the Edge 500 also

this is an in depth review so make sure you have some time before going here, but a good read none the less:

http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2009/11/garmin-edge-500-in-depth-review.html

He also reviewed the Edge 705 (in depth):

http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2008/12/garmin-edge-705-review.html

Edge 500, Edge 705 anything as long as it is not a Edge 305!

Tankman2010-02-04 13:28:34

From my user name you can deduce that I am a 705 fan - but ......

I have had exceptional use from my Edge 705 (with HRM and cadence), and the functionality is excellent.  I use it for both road and mtb riding - including mtb stage races, etc.

But - there is a question whether one needs the mapping function or not.   The mapping function is only used in very special and limited cases - such as sani2C, joberg2C, 1st time on the Baviaans, etc.  Otherwise it is a nice to have and not essential.

In other cases, the 305 or 500 is probably a good option (although the 305 and 500 cannot take an SD card).

With regard to getting it in the USA or elsewhere - I doubt the price is any better - I just place an order with Cape Union Mart and pick it up tax free at ORT when I go out the country.

But - there is a question whether one needs the mapping function or not.   The mapping function is only used in very special and limited cases...

Have to agree... when on the bike I dont like being told where to go!

(unless racing of course)

When was the last time you went out the

front door and got so lost that you needed a GPS to get you back or

somewhere else?

when doing Mtbiking in unknown territory the "back to

home" function becomes very handy (used it once), but a the rest is a bit of a

overkill, especially if you are using a GPS in the car to get you to the

event in any case!

Agreed with other - give the 500a check. Also, if you do go for the 705, for the love of all things good, DO NOT upgrade to firmware 3.10 - stop at 2.90! It stuff up elevation pretty badly...

Unless they have a newer version (here's to hoping!) by the time you get yours.

It's a great gadget!

The weak point with the 705 is the mounting bracket. First it starts to rattle then it breaks and it is difficult to get spares. The downloading of data via the usb port is great, way better than the polar with that clumsy IR thing that gave me constant trouble. Wireless cadence is also very good and the the HR has behaved more consistently than any of the polar devices I have owned and I have owned 4. The large screen is excellent for visibility and even on the Wet One(fast One) with water on the screen and on my glasses and in a large group for the entire ride I was still able to read the important data. The downside of the large screen is the large screen, my friends refer to it my plasma.

The mapping is useful and saved my butt MTBing in Rhodes this past Xmas and I have also been able to save and repeat rides that I have done with friends in areas I don't know. It got me home when I was staying in Blaauwberg before the argus last year.(dam but that place is flat with acres of identical little houses)

I am not a huge fan of virtual partner. It encourages you to train outside your zones and can easily turn a planned recovery ride into a race from hell without any one else to blame.

If the mapping is not a big deal for you get the 500, cheaper and a better size    

Look, I am a Garmin edge fan but a bit of advise, steer clear from the 305. I had 4, all been exchanged due to faults and in the end was given a 705. This, the 705, is great. No problems with it. smiley1.gif

The weak point with the 705 is the mounting bracket. First it starts to rattle then it breaks and it is difficult to get spares.

Fortunately, you can prevent this by epoxying the top and bottom halves of the mount together. Of course, you lose the ability to rotate the mount, but I don't view that as a problem.

The other mod you might need to perform is to plug the small breather hole on the underside of the cadence/speed sensor with some neutral silicone sealant. If you don't, water can get in and corrode the circuit board. On the most recent GSC10 I bought, Garmin had already done this, so you might not have to do it yourself.

Won't work for my issue - the little tab at the top broke... But that was after many many k's - also used it on my 205.

I would say it is worth it, but perhaps before committing do a web search on garmin vs polar or other units to see the pros and cons from both sides.

If you're a 2010 Cape Epic rider' date=' you get 20% off until 28 March

[/quote']

Interesting seeing that you are not allowed to use the tracking or whatever it is called, during the race.