Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Any of you know the answer to the following:

What happens if you buy something from a website that has all its contact addresses and phone numbers as South Africa (and thus looks like a "SA" shop), but product is shipped from US?

The site creates the impression you are buying from a SA dealer (which I would think means VAT and any import duties should be included) but what will happen when the courier (USPS) ships it, will the buyer be liable for VAT?

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The site creates the impression you are buying from a SA dealer (which I would think means VAT and any import duties should be included) but what will happen when the courier (USPS) ships it, will the buyer be liable for VAT?

Normally the receiver is liable for the charges, in which case you'd have to take it up with the online retailer (the CPA should help here).

It is, however, possible that the retailer has an arrangement with the courier for them to pay import charges - this is what Amazon.com does with UPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I am importing a second hand bicycle from Whistler. If I have it stripped and packed (all parts wrapped up separarely but all in one box) and specify it as USED BICYCLE PARTS, will I get away with buying 0 customs or will they actually put it together to see if it can form a complete bike? Would it be a good idea to leave something out of the parcel - like the wheels?

Advise will be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here. And I would like to order a bike frame from CRC, would anyone know if VAT would also apply to foreigners temporarily living in the country?

I saw this at http://www.sars.gov.za/home.asp?pid=180#top

Which imported goods are exempt from duties?

People who are not South African residents

New or used personal effects and sporting and recreational equipment, imported as accompanied or unaccompanied baggage for a passenger's own use during a stay in South Africa, are exempt from VAT.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

That's a pretty cool calculator.

Edit: I've sent Capricorn a PM to see if he'll include it in the first post

Edited by Edman

Thanks for the headsup Edman. Post updated :)

Would be interesting if someone would validate a few purchases against the calculations.

Edited by Capricorn

• 3 weeks later...

Ok homies, my lid just arrived from CRC.

Call it £52, and DHL delivery

VAT was R122

Customs was R161

It turned out to be pretty much what most bike shops In SA were selling it for (cept nobody had stock)

• 1 month later...

Hi

Has anyone shipped from CRC using Royal Mail International? Works out the cheapest, but i'm a bit worried about reliability, will it get here, and will i need to pay duties or VAT when and if it arrives at customs?

Hi Chris

Have you searched the forums for this ? It has been covered, and I recall a few sticky's that should give you the information that you want.

I had an order delivered recently, it took a while but got here fine. I only had to pay the VAT and it still worked out cheaper than any LBS.

blah blah blah! ...as slowbee stated tax, VAT, brand or packaging tape used, are their boxes recyclable... all these issues have been covered in other threads.

But the basic answer. Yes Royal Mail gets here. But it is not trackable until it hits the JIMC (Johannesburg International Mail Centre). You won't know exactly when it gets there. Can take up to 6 weeks. When it does get tere you have to speak very nicely to the and ask them to search via recipient name.

So basically... pay the extra and go parcelforce, or spend enough to get free shipping.

Edited by patches