Mystery FALL in Knysna - pse help

grimpeur

I had a big fall on Sunday in the 100km road race in Knysna and I have no idea what caused it. If anyone saw anything, PLEASE let me know.

I was in a bunch of about 20 riders, with 30km to go, when I woke up in an ambulance with broken ribs, a few deep cuts and bad concussion. I was 2 hours into the race, so I must have fallen at about 11:30. Hoekwil was successfully behind us and we had about 2 or 3 k's to Sedgefield.

I ride a white and black Merida 905 and I was wearing a white Bell helmet, orange and black Mondi cycling shorts and jersey, black arm warmers, and red and black Olympic shoes. My race number was 1218.

No-one else in the bunch came off (or stopped?), and a very kind motorist stopped, moved me out of the road and waited until the ambulance arrived. I only know this because she visited me in hospital. Thanks Amanda! And thanks to all the medical guys!

I will be very gratefull if anyone can shed some light on the cause of the incident. I obviously have to be sure before I can risk getting back on the road.

Thanks Hubbers!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh, thats hectic. I can't believe that no one stopped to help, obviously their seeding or time is too important to care about a fallen rider. Hope you find the info you need.

Bliksem, Was that you? It happened right next to me.. at the beginning of the long hill into sedgefield?

Im so glad youre alive! I couldnt sleep that night.. serious.. I thought you might be dead.

Like you said, we were a smalling bunch and you were riding near the back on my right.. All I knwe was the following. we were cruising down the hill at about 60km/h when a guy on my right-front suddenly started leaning over, you overlapped wheels with the guy in front of me, you tried to stop falling by unclipping and putting your foot out but at 60 that wouldnt have helped:unsure: .

So yes next thing you fell right where my front wheel would have been If I hadnt been on the brakes Instinctively/ miraculisly. My life was flashing through my mind and all I thought was oh ****, Im going to fall verry hard now.. as you landed you rolled and in some way your bike half hit me but I missed you, I braked so hard the bunch was instantly 100m ahead of me, I looked back and you were lying in the road, already covered in blood and motionless.. I felt so bad leaving you there but signalled to cars to call hospital!!, by then the bunch was 200m up the road and despite desperately trying to catch up with them I never managed to and insted shot my legs off..

Im so glad you are fine... It horrified me.. I couldnt beleve how hard you fell.

Hope you heal up soon.

WOW, how easy an accident could happen.

What did you brake? what were your injuries?

Yeh, Bos did tell me afterwards how horrified he was...and shocked.

I'm just glad all of you are alive!

Get better soon!!

Bliksem, Was that you? It happened right next to me.. at the beginning of the long hill into sedgefield?

Im so glad youre alive! I couldnt sleep that night.. serious.. I thought you might be dead.

Like you said, we were a smalling bunch and you were riding near the back on my right.. All I knwe was the following. we were cruising down the hill at about 60km/h when a guy on my right-front suddenly started leaning over, you overlapped wheels with the guy in front of me, you tried to stop falling by unclipping and putting your foot out but at 60 that wouldnt have helped:unsure: .

So yes next thing you fell right where my front wheel would have been If I hadnt been on the brakes Instinctively/ miraculisly. My life was flashing through my mind and all I thought was oh ****, Im going to fall verry hard now.. as you landed you rolled and in some way your bike half hit me but I missed you, I braked so hard the bunch was instantly 100m ahead of me, I looked back and you were lying in the road, already covered in blood and motionless.. I felt so bad leaving you there but signalled to cars to call hospital!!, by then the bunch was 200m up the road and despite desperately trying to catch up with them I never managed to and insted shot my legs off..

Im so glad you are fine... It horrified me.. I couldnt beleve how hard you fell.

Hope you heal up soon.

WOW, how easy an accident could happen.

What did you brake? what were your injuries?

Dude, you should of stopped.

Guest coenie

Jislaaik, the oke goes down and no-one stops? Not even the dudes who fell of the bunch anyway?

WOW

Bos, I think Velo's comment applies to you. Next time, maybe if you stop and help, you won't have sleepless nights. Hell, you might even feel good about yourself. I can't believe that "staying with the group" is more important than someone else's well-being.

Sheesh, thats hectic. I can't believe that no one stopped to help, obviously their seeding or time is too important to care about a fallen rider. Hope you find the info you need.

I saw some cars slowing and stopping straight away. I was the only one in the bunch who bothered but I had no cellphone on me, One cant just move a person he might have injuries to the spine..and he was out..? so In all honnesty, Me allone, what would it have helped?

Not sure what you meen? he was covered in blood- out.. KO'd what would you think I should have done..? Im not the selfish carreless tipe, but this was my honnest helplessness...

I saw some cars slowing and stopping straight away. I was the only one in the bunch who bothered but I had no cellphone on me, One cant just move a person he might have injuries to the spine..and he was out..? so In all honnesty, Me allone, what would it have helped?

Not sure what you meen? he was covered in blood- out.. KO'd what would you think I should have done..? Im not the selfish carreless tipe, but this was my honnest helplessness...

Its easy...just stop your bike

Shock makes everyone react in different ways. Bos made sure that someone was tending to wane-b, before he just rode on.

Guest coenie

I hope that you told the oke in the bunch who caused the crash to stop?

wanna-b, i can relate to how you feel. if it hadn't been for the spectators at the 'shova back in 2006 when i came down i'd also have no clue as to what had happened as not a single rider stopped (yet according to 2 of them the woman who "took me out" definitely did look back and saw that i'd hit the deck and looked pretty lifeless to everyone from the moment i hit the tar). that is why i will NEVER do any mass participation event - i am too aware of the callousness of other riders. at most i'll do interclubs one day when i'm fit again - they year i went down during that one of the Club100 girls deliberately turned around to take care of me even though i wasn't with their club.

i truly hope you heal up soon and with no complications or permanent damage.

Guest coenie

Shock makes everyone react in different ways. Bos made sure that someone was tending to wane-b, before he just rode on.

How about telling the whole group to stop?