Training Programmes for Cyclist

Maryks

I have a question that you might be able to shed light on. I am 42, 72kg, 1.68m. according

my HRM my max is 188bpm. resting hr is 51bpm

during rides i am able to ride at 90% with ease. my OFM time was 3h10 at a ave of 90%

according to what i have read i should not ride in this zone to often.

but to maitain a speed of 23km/h offroad or 30km/h road i must ride at his rate.

My question (i hope i gave enough detail) why is my hr rate so high compared to others

around me and the general information out there.

If ride at 70% hr I must ride 15km/h or less

this surely is too slow

Hi,

Sorry for only coming back to you now. Was on holiday for a bit!

It's really not uncommon to ride at 90% of your max in a race. It means your body is well

conditioned because it can function anaerobically (without oxygen) for a long time. My friends

and I all ride a race at 85-94/5% of our MHR.

But it is important that you condition your body correctly with the right amounts of low, medium

and high intensity training in order for it to maintain such a high MHR without hurting your heart,

lungs and muscles. If you always train at 70%, then it's not a good idea to push yourself to a 90%

average on a race. Hope this makes sense!

Contact me if you have any other questions!

Maryke

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Free bump!

I am starting week 2 of my program and I am loving it!! One of my favourite things is that I can do the interval sessions on my idt and I dont get bored. I cant wait to get out on the dirt on Saturday and see the impact of just 2 weeks of training has had. :clap:

Bring on Sani2C cause I think I may just be fit enough for it thanks to the coach. :thumbup:

Free bump!

I am starting week 2 of my program and I am loving it!! One of my favourite things is that I can do the interval sessions on my idt and I dont get bored. I cant wait to get out on the dirt on Saturday and see the impact of just 2 weeks of training has had. :clap:

Bring on Sani2C cause I think I may just be fit enough for it thanks to the coach. :thumbup:

Wait until you get to the end of 6 weeks, you're going to be blown away by the results!:clap: I'm currently on week 10 of my program and the results have been absolutely amazing! Almost every week it feels as if I'm peaking but it's a 'mini-peak' because the next week I feel stronger, really looking forward to peaking in a big race :clap: :clap:

Thanx Maryke, keep up the good work

Wait until you get to the end of 6 weeks, you're going to be blown away by the results!:clap: I'm currently on week 10 of my program and the results have been absolutely amazing! Almost every week it feels as if I'm peaking but it's a 'mini-peak' because the next week I feel stronger, really looking forward to peaking in a big race :clap: :clap:

Thanx Maryke, keep up the good work

Ok, now I am even more encouraged! Thanks Saudiq.

Yesterday I couldnt do my scheduled workout so I did it this morning and I was blown away by the massive improvement to a similar workout from last week. 12mins off last week's time!! :clap:

For those of you who want a coach who is not going to kill you, make workouts fun and who will help you achieve your goals: this is the coach to go with. :thumbup:

Must thank you for your amazing work you have put into the team. Your professionalism and commitment is of the highest standard. Hay guys and girls it works. Thanks again, Team Bishop.

Must thank you for your amazing work you have put into the team. Your professionalism and commitment is of the highest standard. Hay guys and girls it works. Thanks again, Team Bishop.

Thanks for the honour of having me as part of the team! You guys are great!

Visit www.teambishop.co.za to find out more about the team!

Hi Maryke

I'm starting your programme today so I'll let you know how it goes.

The programme made for interesting reading this weekend, and thanks for assisting me with those queries, you are always very friendly and helpfull.

Thanx

Garth

Hi Maryke

I'm starting your programme today so I'll let you know how it goes.

The programme made for interesting reading this weekend, and thanks for assisting me with those queries, you are always very friendly and helpfull.

Thanx

Garth

Hi Garth,

Glad I could help! And you can really call me any time of the day or night if you have questions. Enjoy the programme!!

• 2 weeks later...

bump

Have a look at www.alloutmtb.co.za!! It's a new south african mountain biking website. I've published a few articles there as well!

Will have a look at the site mentioned.

Have used Maryks, training program. My seeding index for Argus 2010 was 1.32, last race was 1.15