What size road bike should I ride?

Saudiq

Hi All,

I need some help please. unsure.gif

I need to buy a new road bike and I'm uncertain as to whether I should stick to a small 44cm (which is my current bike size) or if I can switch to a bigger bike?

My height is 1.73m. I did a bike fit a while back but I'm not sure how to read this thing and I'm hoping to get some help to read this thing. The question I have is can I get a bike that has a top to centre of 48cm or 50 cm?

I've attached the image.

Thanks

No image attached. Try again. As for bike sizing, it depends on your inseem and some other factors, but you should be able to ride a 52cm bike. You can even modify and ride a 54cm.

I'm 1.69 and ride a 51cm

Hi Saudiq

We are the same height and I ride a 52cm (Small), which will work fine for you.That will probably be the case for 99% of the brands.

Don't let any LBS talk you into mediums, cause that is what they sometimes do to get the sale, and then do all sorts of "over" adjustments, like saddle too far forward and rediculuosly short stems etc.

Hope this helps.

A size 44 at your height sounds rediculously small. I should immagine that you need a bigger bike. Probably a 52 or a 50. More along the lines of a 52.

How are you measuring frame size? Different manufactures measure different things when they give a frame size (e.g. a size 52.5 Merida is roughly the same size as a size 59 Bianchi) . If you can get a rough idea of what your current frame geometry is, then it's fairly easy to go out and compare it to other brands.

If you must use a single measurement, then the best one to use is the effective top-tube length (C, below) as this is the hardest to compensate for if it's wrong: there's a limit to how much you can adjust your saddle setback and stem length. Seat tube length (and to some extent head tube length) can be compensated for by the large range of adjustment in saddle height and by using spacers under your stem.

http://images.competitivecyclist.com/images/products/ridley/geometry_sloping.gif

The other question is, what's wrong with your current geometry? Unless you're experiencing specific problems with it, I'd be weary of drastically changing frame size.