The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

My little boy is 11 months next week & I'm itching to get him on the bike...

What carriers are recommended?

Edit- I only have carbon frames, so I believe mounting the carrier may be an issue

Mine are too old now, but if I ever have a laatlammetjie (Seriously NOOOOOO) then the very first thing I'll import is one of these Danish cargo bikes!

post-17716-0-31622000-1459943006_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit- I only have carbon frames, so I believe mounting the carrier may be an issue

I used one of these . . .  Similar concept to the one Brandon78 advised.  

Work wonders on my carbon bike. Can not really scratch the bike. 

Put on and take off very quickly or switch between bikes.

Works good on my carbon full suspension.

Think it was R550 at Sportmans Warehouse. 

My kid rode on it from 12months till 2years.

fde5e963caf666c772a6342f91a33f31.jpg

hubmarket-73052-0-36497500-1425467181_th

1f956698b0f160e3f55ad045e4d59d93.jpg

PS. 

Even if your'e tempted, refrain from single track  or fast-tar-downhills when riding with you kid on the bike. Even if your 200% sure it is safe.  Stay calmly on nice jeep track or so. 

They do not experience the speed and or  shaking as you do.  You do not want to scare the **** out of them. They can not tell you they scared and even if the do not cry, they just hang on in terror.

Do not make the rides to long either.  
Stop while it is still fun.
Not to long or to far. Max 3-to-5 km or max 30-40 minute. If in some nice veld (safe) surroundings, stop some times, let them get of and explore and walk around if they want to.
Mine likes stopping at the dam and throwing stones.    

The ride is about them, not you. It is not your training ride with added weight!! 

And beware of winter. You are doing the work and build up heat. They are sitting there freezing (wind-chill) while you find it a nice ride.  Same for sun.
Again, most 11-to-20 struggle to tell you then they are cold or hot.

If you drink, offer them the bottle as well or even more times. If they slobber the mouthpiece, just turn the cap off and drink your fill like as if out of a glass. 

Sorry from the rant. Just want to show points I did not think of in the beginning.   

Enjoy. 
Edited by IH8MUD

Some very good advice there  :thumbup:

As for the cut and paste below - I was given this advice a number of years ago when working with kids...

Do not make the rides (activity) too long either.  

Stop while it is still fun

The ride (activity) is about them, not you.

PS. 

Even if your'e tempted, refrain from single track  or fast-tar-downhills when riding with you kid on the bike. Even if your 200% sure it is safe.  Stay calmly on nice jeep track or so. 

They do not experience the speed and or  shaking as you do.  You do not want to scare the **** out of them. They can not tell you they scared and even if the do not cry, they just hang on in terror.

Do not make the rides to long either.  

Stop while it is still fun.

Not to long or to far. Max 3-to-5 km or max 30-40 minute. If in some nice veld (safe) surroundings, stop some times, let them get of and explore and walk around if they want to.

Mine likes stopping at the dam and throwing stones.    

The ride is about them, not you. It is not your training ride with added weight!! 

And beware of winter. You are doing the work and build up heat. They are sitting there freezing (wind-chill) while you find it a nice ride.  Same for sun.

Again, most 11-to-20 struggle to tell you then they are cold or hot.

If you drink, offer them the bottle as well or even more times. If they slobber the mouthpiece, just turn the cap off and drink your fill like as if out of a glass. 

Sorry from the rant. Just want to show points I did not think of in the beginning.   

Enjoy.

Great advice - thank you!!

Great advice - thank you!!

To add:

Safety is obviously number one. A proper harness (like a car seat), back support and foot cups to protect the little one's feet is a must. Make sure the product has all the safety certifications...

I love this thread, it's actually a really great resource over the years. As someone has almost always had the sort of questions you do.

Some feedback to some of the stuff I've read here and tried.

for the young kids who need to be carried. 

I've tried/owned/had access to all three main groups now.

Trailer - have had a single and double, they are really cool, you can take lots of stuff and despite the weight is the least taxing of all types. BUT, we really battled to find somewhere to ride it. this is just not holland, so most of the actual riding has just been the main road pavement muizenberg=>kalk bay, and round the constantia wine farms area. punctures are schlepp of note - so put some tyre liners on the wheels

http://www.kidscab.be/img/p/297-738-thickbox.jpg

Sit behind - rack mounted.  probably used this the most. you can't really fault these, but it is a bit disconcerting not being able to see what's going on the whole time. the bike is a bit unbalanced, but you get used to it quickly. i normally load up the kid, strap in, helmet and then go. so you need to be ready and done first before starting this. my roadbike has a rack on it permanently so not a hassle to load/unload the whole shebang.

http://www.cbdcycles.com.au/images/accessories/thumb/betochildseat.jpg

sit in front - been borrowing an ibert model (the green machine) for a few months now. This is without doubt the best option. it's brilliant to be able to chat and point and everything. I've ridden this on bumpy farm roads on holiday and while i do wonder what it does to your fork action with so much weight loaded directly on the front of the bike, it seems to be ok.

it is a bit of a schlep having the bee sting/attachment point on the bike, as it looks lank scary riding with it on without the seat attached, you could do serious damage in a crash.

hqdefault.jpg

i have crashed (slow speed) with all of them..so far no big issues on that though. helmets are mandatory, but hard to enforce. #2 has had to deal with a pink one for a while but now he has his very own one that fits way better. so far i haven't tried riding with two kids at once, i don't need that much training!

Edited by by birdie

I've ridden this on bumpy farm roads on holiday and while i do wonder what it does to your fork action with so much weight loaded directly on the front of the bike, it seems to be ok.

There is very many big guys out there with more weight on the front than the little weight your kid ads. No problem. 

If you ride the sort of ride that is "kid" friendly, I do not even bother with adjusting fork/shock pressure. I for one will not ride anything with the kid on the bike that remotely tax the suspension never mind bottoming it. :eek:   

I am to lazy.  The next day when I take the child seat off again I do not want to adjust the suspension again. 

If it does bother you, increase the fork/shock pressure by a few psi  to compensate for the added kid, and Bobs your uncle.

(not that anybody would want uncle Bob as their uncle . . . :ph34r: )   

Edited by IH8MUD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...