Cyclist Killed - Let's make a difference!

AlsDad

A very sad weekend indeed, especially when someone is taken so suddenly doing what they loved and lived for, riding his bike!

The gentlemans name is Terry Baker, from the Northgate area, and as said previously, he was going down the hill when a Taxi overtook them (three riders) and suddenly pulled off and stopped. The first two of the group (one being Terry's brother), managed to swerve out and miss the Taxi, but Terry unfortunately was unable to do so and went straight into the back of it.

My condolences to all the Bakers and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Emotions always run high after a tragedy such as this, and then gradually dissipate until the next time an injustice is served against one of our own.

Wayne Baker, Terry's nephew and one of his training partners, apart from being absolutely distraught, has voiced his wishes to me to be able to:

a. Be involved in some sort of an awareness campaign/ride, and

b. See if there is anything we can do to assist the family financially going forwards.

Terry was the bread winner in the family, and has two teenage daughters.

Wayne is, along with me, a founder and current committee member of "The Dads Charity", the bunch of good intentioned hooligans who ride their bikes from Jhb to Durban each year to raise money for various children's charities. The organisation was founded 6 years ago with the wish to make a difference in as many kids lives as possible.

Wayne doesn't know it yet, but "The Dads" would like to get the ball rolling by putting an amount of R20 000-00 into a fund to assist the girls in their schooling and in a couple of years, their Tertiary Education needs.

The Hub is a wonderful Network/Brotherhood of sportspeople, and should anyone want to make a difference, no matter how big or small, donations can be transferred to:

Dad’s Charity Challenge

Standard Bank Bramley

Account # 00 298 026 6

Branch Code 004005(00)

Ref: Terry Baker

Should there be excessive funds, they would be managed and used to improve the lives of other kids through the Dads NPO (Non Profit Organisation).

Should anyone want to get involved or have any queries, please feel free to contact one of the committee members:

Rob Jackson (Chairman) rob@leveragecorporation.co.za

Troy Barwell troy@smp.co.za

Garth Wilkinson garth@smp.co.za

Our thoughts and feelings are with all "The Bakers".

Wayne Baker, Terry's nephew and one of his training partners, apart from being absolutely distraught, has voiced his wishes to me to be able to:

a. Be involved in some sort of an awareness campaign/ride, and

b. See if there is anything we can do to assist the family financially going forwards.

Wayne is, along with me, a founder and current committee member of "The Dads Charity", the bunch of good intentioned hooligans who ride their bikes from Jhb to Durban each year to raise money for various children's charities. The organisation was founded 6 years ago with the wish to make a difference in as many kids lives as possible.

Wayne doesn't know it yet, but "The Dads" would like to get the ball rolling by putting an amount of R20 000-00 into a fund to assist the girls in their schooling and in a couple of years, their Tertiary Education needs.

The Hub is a wonderful Network/Brotherhood of sportspeople, and should anyone want to make a difference, no matter how big or small, donations can be transferred to:

Dad’s Charity Challenge

Standard Bank Bramley

Account # 00 298 026 6

Branch Code 004005(00)

Ref: Terry Baker

Should there be excessive funds, they would be managed and used to improve the lives of other kids through the Dads NPO (Non Profit Organisation).

Should anyone want to get involved or have any queries, please feel free to contact one of the committee members:

Rob Jackson (Chairman) rob@leveragecorporation.co.za

Troy Barwell troy@smp.co.za

Garth Wilkinson garth@smp.co.za

Our thoughts and feelings are with all "The Bakers".

Hi Rob

Is there anywhere we can see info on 'The Dad's Charity' and happenings/mailing lists etc?

I'm assuming if you organise a ride etc you'll notify all hubbers?

I heard about it on the radio then ended up riding with guys on Sun that knew Terry, truely a sad day for cycling! :(

Hi Rob

Is there anywhere we can see info on 'The Dad's Charity' and happenings/mailing lists etc?

I'm assuming if you organise a ride etc you'll notify all hubbers?

I heard about it on the radio then ended up riding with guys on Sun that knew Terry, truely a sad day for cycling! :(

Troy here,

Hi there, will put up a link to some info on "The Dads Charity" as soon as I've spoken to Rob.

A truly sad day, Yes.

Strikes home to alot of us who are out there.

Cyclists ..... and it is dnagerous to generalise...... are people who do not really care. When one of their own dies, gets hurt or are endangered they shout, scream, tear their clothes and put ash on their heads ...... for at least 13,5 hours. After that they return to the middle finger and robot skipping technique made famoius by cyclists.

After the incident in Oudsthoorn where cyclists were moved down by a guy in a bakkie, a few prominent cyclists and at least one cyclists awareness organisation all made big and brave promises of starting a campaign where cyclists will pledge to behave....... nothing but empty promises and hot air came from it.

I think cyclists just does not really care.

Big H i thinks its more that feeling that even if every damn cylist, their families and their friends had to rally and pitch up, for even the best publiced most well orchastrated event to create awareness, the plea will still fall on deaf ears, and this being Africa nothing will get done about it.

Big H i thinks its more that feeling that even if upevery damn cylist, their families and their friends had to rally and pitch, for even the best publiced most well orchastrated event to create awareness, the plea will still fall on deaf ears, and this being Africa nothing will get done about it.

It will have to snow in Namabwe before "every damn cylist, their families and their friends had to rally and pitch up". Cyclists mouths are much bigger than their actions. If it was not so we would have seen cyclists getting involved en masse to ensure there is better understanding and awareness....... it just does not happen.

Big H i thinks its more that feeling that even if every damn cylist, their families and their friends had to rally and pitch up, for even the best publiced most well orchastrated event to create awareness, the plea will still fall on deaf ears, and this being Africa nothing will get done about it.

The only time a persons circumstances will change is when he does something about it himself, we as cyclist , no as a nation should march to parliament and demand better law enforncement, and end to corruption and better service delivery. This is unfortunately not a middle class thing to do , so unless we find a way to convey our message to the powers that be ,life will continue as is.

The only time a persons circumstances will change is when he does something about it himself, we as cyclist , no as a nation should march to parliament and demand better law enforncement, and end to corruption and better service delivery. This is unfortunately not a middle class thing to do , so unless we find a way to convey our message to the powers that be ,life will continue as is.

Pie in the sky!!!!!!!I see the Cradle Residents areup on arms again. Again this is part of the "ek kan nie 'n *** omgee nie" attitude of cyclists

Whoaah! Stoppiebus!

We ain't prominent, and we aren't making pie in the sky promises. This thread was set up to try and do a little good, 'coz every effort does count in life, no matter how insignificant, it all adds up.

I have 3 daughters and.....let's just put it this way, my life is very precious! Enough said!

I made an appeal to everyone out there in my initial post on this thread and want to say a big Thank You to those of you (not many so far), you know who you are for your incredible generosity. No matter how small, as I said it all adds up.

One amazing gent whom I have never met has obviously been touched by this appeal and understands what we are doing, just deposited R10 000-00 into the account!!!! Turns out he also has children!

Funds will never take the heartache and grief away, but it is one less thing for a grieving wife and daughters to worry about and cope with.

Regarding some sort of ride, it would be brilliant to have, and I know Wayne is in the throes of putting something together, so let's hope it comes off.

Pie in the sky!!!!!!!I see the Cradle Residents areup on arms again. Again this is part of the "ek kan nie 'n *** omgee nie" attitude of cyclists

You do realise that you have hijacked this very worthwhile and genuine thread which stems from extremely sad circumstances,for your own self gratification/cyclist bashing/holier than thou purposes

In my opinion,unless you have something useful to contribute,why don't you just stay the hell out of it and let the OP get on with it.

You do realise that you have hijacked this very worthwhile and genuine thread which stems from extremely sad circumstances,for your own self gratification/cyclist bashing/holier than thou purposes

In my opinion,unless you have something useful to contribute,why don't you just stay the hell out of it and let the OP get on with it.

+1

I was asked for some info and being a Noobie to this forum, took me awhile to work out how to upload it, but here is this years rundown! (Our 6th year)

post-15356-008163300 1285758017.jpg

I dont' see it as a hijack though. what I'm seeing is making a difference to the lives of the family of the rider. But that is why, when you start cycling, or any sport for that matter you take out insurance.

Making a difference to the number of cyclists killed/injured or even the slaughtering on our(cyclists/pedestrians/motorists) roads in general doesn't really happen. The only way you gonna make a difference in this country is to make a big noice.

Whoaah! Stoppiebus!

We ain't prominent, and we aren't making pie in the sky promises. This thread was set up to try and do a little good, 'coz every effort does count in life, no matter how insignificant, it all adds up.

I have 3 daughters and.....let's just put it this way, my life is very precious! Enough said!

I made an appeal to everyone out there in my initial post on this thread and want to say a big Thank You to those of you (not many so far), you know who you are for your incredible generosity. No matter how small, as I said it all adds up.

One amazing gent whom I have never met has obviously been touched by this appeal and understands what we are doing, just deposited R10 000-00 into the account!!!! Turns out he also has children!

Funds will never take the heartache and grief away, but it is one less thing for a grieving wife and daughters to worry about and cope with.

Regarding some sort of ride, it would be brilliant to have, and I know Wayne is in the throes of putting something together, so let's hope it comes off.

Hi AlsDad

Happy to support this intiative - well done.

Cheers