Introduction to the new Events Section

Matt

Hi Hubbers,

We're excited to announce the launch of our Events section! This post should give you an overview of the new features and the overall purpose of this section as a whole.

Community Driven Calendar

It's been said time and time again that people struggle to find a comprehensive and up to date cycling event calendar. Our goal is to use the power and numbers in the Hubber community to build and maintain such a calendar.

Our existing Events forum is already busier forums, however it's not easy to search for events. The intention is to create an easy to use and easily searchable events calendar which ties into the forums.

Feature Overview

To access the events section, simply click the Events menu option

menu.jpg

Event Listing

The Events listing page will show events listed in all categories and all regions for the next 3 months by default

event-index.jpg

Browse Filter

The filter box on the left hand side allows you to filter the view for any combination of Category, Region and Date Range. By default all filters are cleared.

Filter.jpg

Event View

The event view displays all the information which was entered for the event, e.g. Dates, Region, Category, location, details, contacts, etc.

Single Day Event View.jpg

There are Export, Share and Options menus on the top right of the event view. You can Export the event details to your Google Calendar or Outlook / VCS, Share the Event via social networks, email or print. If you are the author of the event you'll be able to edit it via the Options menu

Export.jpg Share.jpg Options.jpg

Maps

If the event author selected / entered GPS coordinates a Map will be displayed on the Event page.

Click on the Map to open up an interactive Google Map which you can explore and use to get directions to the Event.

Map Popup.jpg

Attendance

Attending Popup.jpg

If you're logged in you'll be able to indicate whether you'll be attending the Event. Click on the attendance indicator to update your status to 'Yes, No or Maybe'. You can optionally choose to hide your status if you'd prefer to keep this private.

Attendance Edit.jpg

If your attendance is private you'll notice a padlock icon on the right to indicate that it's hidden from others' view. Any Events where you've selected Yes or Maybe will appear under an Events tab on your User Profile. If you've chosen to keep your attendance private only you will see the Events in your profile.

User - Profile View.jpg

Comments

When an event is added, a Topic is automatically created in the "Event Comments" Forum. You'll be able to post comments about the Event in this forum or directly on the Event Page.

Comments.jpg

Add / Edit Event

Anyone who's logged in can add an event by clicking on the 'Add your Event' button on the main Event page.

add event.jpg

The Add Event form is fairly self explanatory. There are certain required fields: Name, Date, Category, Region, Location and Description. You can also enter other option information, such as GPS coordinates, contact details and select an event logo / image

Add  Edit - 1.jpg

A description must be entered much like any topic on the forum. This would contain any additional details about the event, e.g. Venue, Routes, Start times, entries, background info, etc.

Attachments (images) can also be added which will appear below the description, e.g. Route maps, profiles, flyers, sponsor logos, etc.

Add Edit - 2.jpg

The last item on the Add Event page is a "Verify" option. This is to indicate whether you are posting the event as the official event organiser or on their behalf. This will be displayed on the Event page with a small notice to give to indicate whether the information was posted by an official source.

This feature will be expanded on to allow organisers to request ownership of an event posted. E.g. if a member of the public has created an event the organiser can log in and take ownership of the event, allowing them to update / verify the details.

Add - Edit - 3.jpg

We Want Your Feedback!

As the first add-on we've developed on the new platform we're looking for your feedback on anything and everything. We've done a fair amount of testing in a staging environment, but it's very likely that some bugs and browser compatability issues will surface as more people use it. Furthermore, we're looking to build and improve on this over time, so let us know what like, what you don't and where we can improve things.

Please give us feedback by posting a new topic in this forum!

Pretty cool! Would Admin be placing the events as they approach or would it work as it has before? e.g. We post new threads about events as we wish. Nice work :thumbup: :thumbup:

Pretty cool! Would Admin be placing the events as they approach or would it work as it has before? e.g. We post new threads about events as we wish. Nice work :thumbup: :thumbup:

The aim is to encourage event organisers to post their events in our calendar well in advance and use it as a tool to promote their event. Of course we'll need to work towards that point and initially will rely on the Hubbers, event organisers / promoters already here and myself to populate the events.

Brilliant...

And the option to "share" should spread the word quickly.

Well done ADMIN!

One question - presumably this is open to Hubbers who might want to arrange an informal, social get-together kind of ride as well? Or are you attempting to aim it specifically at actual, organised (timed etc.) events?

:thumbup:

it works..

one thing i'd like to see is the option of 'author' status. would be nice to know if its race organiser or participant posting it.

also, appears you can't delete events(oops!)

:thumbup: Excellent job ADMIN.

we will most certainly post all our events as the details become available plus will direct all other enquiries to your site.

Cheers

Francois

MANIC CYCLES - WORCESTER

Cool. :thumbup:

very cool.:thumbup: :thumbup:

one request: A field for the date that entries close. And a filter to search race entries that will close in the next 2,5,10 days. I tend to miss the entry date.;)

Edited by Gman1834

Cool. :thumbup:

very cool.:thumbup: :thumbup:

one request: A field for the date that entries close. And a filter to search race entries that will close in the next 2,5,10 days. I tend to miss the entry date.;)

Great Idea...

An entries open...and entries close field.

:clap:

:thumbup: :clap: :rolleyes: :drool: :D

I was saying to a friend last night that a proper race calendar feature on the TheHub would be awesome. So well done for being AWESOME!