Events

[Event] MTN #1 Attakwas Extreme MTB Marathon - 121km

udxcob's Photo udxcob 12 Dec 2010

Eish SS, good luck man I need all the gears I have unless I walk up all the hills

PPWTF's Photo PPWTF 12 Dec 2010

Just booked for camping and shuttle at Chandlier game lodge. Camped there last year, 100m from the start.

Stephen thanks for posting. We're gonna book in there as well. Perfect spot. See you there

E-man's Photo E-man 13 Dec 2010

Entry for sale R 395 and shirt included! I will pay the sub fee. . .

George Nel's Photo George Nel 13 Dec 2010

E-man,you banggat!!!!!

E-man's Photo E-man 14 Dec 2010

E-man,you banggat!!!!!

haha im a poor student! price for 1 Attekwas entry = 4 PPA road events!

nathrix's Photo nathrix 14 Dec 2010

Not sure of your fitness level, but at this year's Pioneer Trek my partner and I took 10:30 for day 1 . My partner stopped quite a few times so I was waiting at Water points and in between. When we got to Mossel Bay I felt really good. No cramps. It was probably a blessing in disguise that my partner was slower (only met him at the Pioneer race briefing, he came from the States to ride), because I had no problems with the other 5 days of the Trek. My partner bailed on day 3 , but by that time I was acclimatised. My bit of advice for the Attakwas, if you're not a racing snake. Take it easy,stop at all the water points and fill all your bottles and eat as much as you can. Ride your normal pace and don't try to get up all the steep stuff, you will be pushing the bulk of it anyway.You need all the energy for the last 40 odd km's of rolling hills that don't seem to want to end. You can see Mossels in the distance , but you just don't get there.
Also, stay away from all the GU's if you can. Eat proper food at the stops and keep something like boiled baby potatoes in your Camelbak. Keep a GU for the last 10 km's as a little boost to get you over the line.

Nice, will be seeing you at the Attakwas :) I'm sure this you in the foto?

Attached Images

• Robert 045.JPG

Mats V's Photo Mats V 14 Dec 2010

This is going to be one long day. Man its going to hurt.

Wyatt Earp's Photo Wyatt Earp 14 Dec 2010

This is going to be one long day. Man its going to hurt.

But you are top class, don't panic.

But you are top class, don't panic.

Top class only if I was a cow going to the butchery.

Skaap's Photo Skaap 14 Dec 2010

dangle , you are on the dirty dates calender?

o ja and my 2c,,,,, attakwas is moer erg...

Wyatt Earp's Photo Wyatt Earp 14 Dec 2010

dangle , you are on the dirty dates calender?

o ja and my 2c,,,,, attakwas is moer erg...

Is it really that erg ?

Skaap's Photo Skaap 14 Dec 2010

will it be your first time dangle?

i did it this year. 10 hours in the saddle :(

was vir my baie erg. but you look very fit on that front page... :)

@Skaap, Dangles needs to suffer a bit so his doing it on his rigid single speed.
With that he will still beat most of the people there.

EarlyBird's Photo EarlyBird 14 Dec 2010

Okay, so I have entered but still not sure if I REALLY know what I’ve let myself in for. See you all there :thumbup:

Brian Fantana's Photo Brian Fantana 14 Dec 2010

It is going to be a big fitness tester once again, had an awesome race last year(my first one) but I think I can do even better this time around. I think the key is to pace yourself from the start, and then get a strong finish going in the 2nd half of the race. The latter is a lot easier said than done, after 70km of rocky jeep track surviving is higher up on the list of priorities than finishing strong.

BlinkFan's Photo BlinkFan 17 Dec 2010

Anybody doing the "Mini"? I'm not quite there yet to do the Extreme... I'll attempt it in 2012.