Events

[Event] MTN #1 Attakwas Extreme MTB Marathon - 121km

29pgc10's Photo 29pgc10 20 Dec 2010

The Extreme is not so extreme: they cut out 14km from last year (nice, steep, loose mountain pass in first 30km) shame. just do it. I think I have recovered. :) [hi kandui]

BlinkFan's Photo BlinkFan 21 Dec 2010

Already entered the mini :unsure: I'll keep the beers cold while waiting for the tough guys ;)

rpedro's Photo rpedro 21 Dec 2010

Already entered the mini :unsure: I'll keep the beers cold while waiting for the tough guys ;)

Castle Light for me please?

Wyatt Earp's Photo Wyatt Earp 22 Dec 2010

Hansa Marzen Gold :thumbup:

BlinkFan's Photo BlinkFan 22 Dec 2010

Castle Light for me please?

What have I gotten myself into? :unsure:

TitusTi's Photo TitusTi 22 Dec 2010

haha im a poor student! price for 1 Attekwas entry = 4 PPA road events!

I hear you on that one.

GLuvsMtb's Photo GLuvsMtb 22 Dec 2010

Keep a Marzen Gold cold for me too ;)

Rapunzel's Photo Rapunzel 22 Dec 2010

I hear you on that one.

price of 4 ppa road races = R400
feeling of satisfaction crossing the line on attakwas = priceless

TitusTi's Photo TitusTi 22 Dec 2010

price of 4 ppa road races = R400
feeling of satisfaction crossing the line on attakwas = priceless

Feeling of not being able to eat because you spent all your money to ride another expensive mtb race = not quite priceless but you certainly can't put a price on it.

mongoose_dude's Photo mongoose_dude 22 Dec 2010

Feeling of not being able to eat because you spent all your money to ride another expensive mtb race = not quite priceless but you certainly can't put a price on it.

I agree... It's a very expensive single day event. But ya - waterpoints usually quite amazing, and like you said: satisfaction of finishing it is incredible.

One bit of advice: don't eat the burger at the 80km waterpoint. You will chunder it up on the next uphill. Really mean actually. You get to the water point, feeling good. Then you munch a lovely burger, carry on riding and 15 mins later your insides are lying on the dirt road :oops: . And then it takes you an hour to find your rhythm again and keep your electrolytes down. And then you start cramping. And then you have 45km left to ride. And then after 10h30 you finish. And can't walk anymore. (brief summary of my 1st Atta at the beginning of this year... done quite a bit of training since then, so I hope number two in 3 weeks will go better!! :D :D)

On 2nd thought - why the hell do we pay R400 to do this to ourselves??!

Wyatt Earp's Photo Wyatt Earp 22 Dec 2010

I agree... It's a very expensive single day event. But ya - waterpoints usually quite amazing, and like you said: satisfaction of finishing it is incredible.

One bit of advice: don't eat the burger at the 80km waterpoint. You will chunder it up on the next uphill. Really mean actually. You get to the water point, feeling good. Then you munch a lovely burger, carry on riding and 15 mins later your insides are lying on the dirt road :oops: . And then it takes you an hour to find your rhythm again and keep your electrolytes down. And then you start cramping. And then you have 45km left to ride. And then after 10h30 you finish. And can't walk anymore. (brief summary of my 1st Atta at the beginning of this year... done quite a bit of training since then, so I hope number two in 3 weeks will go better!! :D :D)

On 2nd thought - why the hell do we pay R400 to do this to ourselves??!

If you end up close to or near me, can I chow your burger as well on your behalf ?

mongoose_dude's Photo mongoose_dude 22 Dec 2010

Take it!!! With pleasure :P
Less of a mess for the sweeper truck to clean up then :P

Also thinking about taking a tupperware in my camelbak, stashing 2 burgers, and munching them at the finish line hehehe :P

Nah - really hoping it will go better this year. Your first Atta is never an easy intro to marathon MTB :) (at least it wasn't for me)

sharkysa's Photo sharkysa 22 Dec 2010

I am up for my first Attakwas, extremely nervous at the moment.

December has been a lazy month after Wine2Whales but I will bust some heavy training over the next few weeks.

Are there enough water point to take two water bottles? I dislike camel backs..

brussel's Photo brussel 22 Dec 2010

sharkysa it depends how fast you ride :) but yes there should be

Velouria's Photo Velouria 22 Dec 2010

Are there enough water point to take two water bottles? I dislike camel backs..

It's quite doable on bottles - just don't lose them along the way. If you do - pick up someone else's.

Bikeman's Photo Bikeman 25 Dec 2010

Het gister entre vir die race , wie wil saam my swaar kry soek `n partner vir die lang dag.