New To Road Cycling Which Bike advice again?

drubin

Looking for a Road bike to get me started on and possibly keep for a while. (I would rather not choose to resell stuff in 6months because I want to upgrade).

I have been cycling a basic MTB with front suspension, but enjoy the road races vibe stuff so think it is time to invest in a road bike.

1) Do I go semi average 1st hand or better 2nd hand bike with no assurance or any form of warranties or service plans or any thing?

2) I know it goes Sora, Tiagra, 105...( rest out of my price range) how much difference would a newbie like me even notice? How do they differ quality, performance, what is actually different?

3) Size/Frame I assume are pure comfort level thing so I will have to see which one suites me best

Budget is kinda flexible based on what I am going to get and how long stuff would last me with a high/top limit of about 10k

I have looked around on these forums as well as other places and it seems that for the price range I am looking at I either get really old bikes with "amazing specs" or new bikes with average specs.

In my dabbling I found. Seem to think Silver Backs are decent value but what do I know?

1) Silver Back RS1 2011 +- R9000

2) Silver Back RS2 2011 +- R7000

Are any of these two value for money or just a rip off? If they are a rip off could some one suggest where I can get a better deal and for what (in Cape Town) if that makes any difference.

Thanks

The RS1 would be my choice, 10 spd 105 components so it will be easy to upgrade to ultegra/durace if want.

The RS1 would be my choice, 10 spd 105 components so it will be easy to upgrade to ultegra/durace if want.

The bike seems decent on paper. as for price range? Am I being ripped off?

Is there a decent place to compare prices of bikes to make sure you are getting a decent deal?

On the topic of Price? Are they decent deals I think component wise/specs they are fine for what I need.

Also are there any decent SA biking websites with actual prices other then www.obike.co.za ?

The fact they aren't carbon isn't going to make much of a difference IMHO because I take more weight in water then that.

Shameless bump :)