Saturday bike wash

Jongozi

Hi.

Saturday bike wash, and I ran out of my branded and over expensive soap specially formulated on the highest peak of ‘Mont Black’ by Mongolian monks and sold to me as the only, and make sure you understand only soap, lubricant or degreaser that you may ever use on your bike. Any other chemical will cause your bike to “slaan blokke’ 10km before the finish of your first sub 3 Argus.

No disrespect to any shop owner of whom I know there are many on the blog, but is it true that you can not use any other cleaners on your bike.

I understand that some kinds of greases used on motorcycles’ chains will change into grinding paste on your bike and that the de-railers are very sensitive to certain pastes, but will using oven ZEB on my chain do any harm to it.

Can anybody give some advice on what can and can’t be used and maybe some normal household cleaners that works for you.

I’m not that long a member so this issue may have been discussed before.

I think the Zeb may harm you if you spray it around too much!

I use normal car shampoo on the frame etc, for oil/grease cleaning I use Kleen Green. Not near bearings though such as hubs and BB (especially on the cheaper Shimano hubs with no worthy seals!).

Plain ol' water with Sunlight dishwashing liquid and Kleen Green for the oily bits...

As above and some Mr.Min to polish the paint and shiny bits

Please o please do yourself a favour and buy Hope sh!tshifter. IT's expensive, but I use it sparingly.

1 spray on your casette and you just wipe off the grease. Your casette will look like it's brand new.

OTherwise any soap is fine to wash the bike

Paraffin on the chain/cluster/chainring then rinsed with sunlight or clean green and water. Then relube.

Same process as used by the SA dude who wrenched for Phonak team at one point. If its good enough for the pros......

Paraffin followed by a rag on the oily bits.

Car shampoo on the shiny bits.

If you use paraffin, be careful to dispose of it with some regard for the planet or Johan Bornman will go all dark ages on your derriere!

In my case that means using it to light the braai - soak a briquette in the dirty paraffin et voila! Homemade firelighter!

I bought a chain cleaning tool a few years back.. Cant remember the name now. But dishwash liquid water, Clean Green and some Handy Andy does the jobs on your drivetrain and gearing system. A brush to clean the gears is alsd a needed...

I wash my bike with clean green.....works well, and then those bike chain degreaser stuff.....otherwise for a quick polish some Mr.Min on the frame works well :)

General Purpose (GP) Cleaner from Prominent Paints. It comes in a 5L bottle, dilute it for the shiny bits, sparay on, rinse off... I use it undiluted in my chain cleaner, and brush it onto the casette with a paint brush, then rinse off. It's relatively cheap, 5L will last a long time, and works well. Also great for MX bikes and as an engine cleaner.

Only word of caution, don't spray it on and allow it to dry on painted bits, but the same goes for Clean Green...

Clean Green & Mr Min. DON'T ever use Mr Muscle - It will stain every aluminium piece on your bike.

Try a product called BLADE, blue stuff made by shield car products. Stuff is amazing, ca even be used for washing clothes in diluted state and i can confirm it get stains out of baby clothes

Use it undiluted on chain, rings and cassette and diluted to wash bike

R29.99 for normal spray bottle

Yeah Im with Stewie(He got the tip from me actually :P ) - buy a 5L bottle of **** shifter from CRC, very cheap and you can dilute it 50% for the bike and use full strenght on oily bits.

Also it wont cause a residue to form on disk brakes, which other soaps may do.