Road Tubeless

Woofie

Anyone have a road tubeless setup running?

I am gatvol of punctures now.

The condition of our roads leaves me fixing a puncture so often it is just not funny anymore.

Slime doesnt work that well in the tubes, tire liners doesnt do it for me, new tyres, recoated spoke hole strip with tape as that has also given me a few unexpected flats.

Tried it all.

Even tried making my wire gatorskins into a road getto system, which just ended up in one big sticky mess. (used a mtb tube over the road rim)

Looks like the only way out is to bite the bullet and spend R800-900 each on tubeless road tyres. But that is quite a heavy price and I better be 100% sure before walking down that path.

So, who has these?

Whats the experience on them? Mileage? I hear the mileage isnt good?

And most NB of all, can I plug the holes?

Oh, and also, where the heck do you get them.

Most bike shops look at me like I am crazy when I talk about road UST tyres.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have a road tubeless setup running?

I am gatvol of punctures now.

The condition of our roads leaves me fixing a puncture so often it is just not funny anymore.

Slime doesnt work that well in the tubes, tire liners doesnt do it for me, new tyres, recoated spoke hole strip with tape as that has also given me a few unexpected flats.

Tried it all.

Even tried making my wire gatorskins into a road getto system, which just ended up in one big sticky mess. (used a mtb tube over the road rim)

Looks like the only way out is to bite the bullet and spend R800-900 each on tubeless road tyres. But that is quite a heavy price and I better be 100% sure before walking down that path.

So, who has these?

Whats the experience on them? Mileage? I hear the mileage isnt good?

And most NB of all, can I plug the holes?

Oh, and also, where the heck do you get them.

Most bike shops look at me like I am crazy when I talk about road UST tyres.

Will they work on your rims?

Woofie, are you sure it's not you?

Compare your puncture frequency with that of your training partners.

If you puncture more frequently than they do, then wherever the prob lies, it's not the roads to blame.

Things to consider:

1. Line. Do you ride more in the gutters than they do?

2. Technique. Do you crash through potholes where they bunny hop?

3. Tyre pressure? (You seem to know your stuff, so included for completeness only.)

4. Tyre brand? Gatorskins are durable, so again, included for completeness.

5. Weather conditions. There is a theory that wet roads "lift" the small, sharp bits of debris that cause punctures.

Don't take any of the above personally, none of it is intended as casting nasturtiums.

Just remember that if you want to use tubeless tyres for the road, you have to also upgrade to tubeless rims for the road. There are not that many manufacturers that produce tubeless-ready road rims. By the same token, there are also just a VERY few manufacturers of tubeless road tyres.

In addition to that, remember that one generally runs a road tyre between 7 - 11 bar, as opposed to a mtb tyre which is used between 1.5 - 3.5 bar [depending on weight and terrain]. It is going to require a very good set-up to keep that air sealed in the tyre <_<

Finally, the tube in a road bike set-up has one BIG advantage: when you puncture at a high speed, the tube will protect your tyre and rim for a short distance while you try to brake/reduce speed. Without that tube, the tyre is in direct contact with the rim and you are going to have a rough time controlling your bike.

I have tried the tubeless road set-up with Campagnolo 2 Way Fit rims, and it worked pretty well. The disadvantages outweigh the benefits, though.

I use Sludge All Terrain sealant in my tubes - it is ammonia free and does not coagulate in the tyres, neither does it block your valve.

Hope this helps!

What is the main source of your punctures?

I am not sure that the road tubeless tyres would be more resistant to sharp things than say, Gatorskins.

I think Hutchinson make tubeless road tyres but I think you need proper tubeless rims to make them work properly.

Having said that, if you added Stan's to your tubeless system, wouldnt the higher pressure in a road tyre just squirt it out before sealing it? I know that at 2 bar, my mtb tyres make quite a fountain before a puncture is sealed.

Tubeless tyres in general are not up to scratch at the moment.....still an evolving market IMHO.

Had a friend that did 5 rides with his and chucked them away and bought new wheels.

I bought myself tubeless rims but still run tubes due to the "better" tyres you can get for your normal clincher setup.

But I now have the option to go tubeless should I want to in future.

All said and done, bad luck and worn tyres are the two BIGGEST causes of punctures.

Remember.....LOADS of rain = LOADS of crap lying on the road. It is puncture season at the moment. Even I had one on Friday! :thumbdown: Normally I only get 2 a year! :thumbup: :P :lol:

Bad luck!!!

Things to consider:

1. Line. Do you ride more in the gutters than they do? Yes Woosie rides in the gutters, Worcester Race springs to mind.

2. Technique. Do you crash through potholes where they bunny hop? Yes

Do you want to use them for commuting or racing or what?

Yep, I think it is just bad luck.

Commuting seems to take the cake for messing up my tyres.

The roads are full of glass and sharp stones which is probably contributing to 90% of my troubles.

Just takes a small small little cut on your tyre and a small stone or glass to work its way through and its all over.

Judging from the comments, I can see that road UST is still not a viable option.

:(

By the way, you dont need tubeless road wheels to run tubeless.

A good rim strip and you are ready to go.

You may need another layer if the tyre is not sitting tight enough, but thats it. :)

Well in that case I will just have to carry on fixing tubes :(

Do you want to use them for commuting or racing or what?

If I end up going tubeless, then they must stay on there for everything.

I even tried running a new set of tyres for racing. And I still got a flat :(

Woofie....I had a spell on Tubbies in 2008.

In 6 races I had 4 punctures.....R700 each time to "fix the puncture". <_< <_<

War NOT impressed and prommised myself never to return to the tubbie scene. Yet I know that it might have been just plain bad luck. <_< :rolleyes:

Yep, I think it is just bad luck.

Commuting seems to take the cake for messing up my tyres.

The roads are full of glass and sharp stones which is probably contributing to 90% of my troubles.

Just takes a small small little cut on your tyre and a small stone or glass to work its way through and its all over.

Judging from the comments, I can see that road UST is still not a viable option.

By the way, you dont need tubeless road wheels to run tubeless.

A good rim strip and you are ready to go.

You may need another layer if the tyre is not sitting tight enough, but thats it. :)

Well in that case I will just have to carry on fixing tubes :(

Move house.

According to stans site you can use a normal rim with 2 layers of 21mm yellow rim tape and then the 44mm valve with a road tubeless tyre and sealant, I'd be tempted to try it. They also do Alpha road rims now I see

If I may comment on this - As I see it, the benefit of tubeless (MTB) is not less punctures, but lower pressures to give more grip (works for me).

I can't see that road tubeless has much of a benefit - I add slime to the inner tubes for the ladies I assist (cause they useless at fixing punctures) so that is an option I think should work well for commuting ? Perhaps try a different slime - a thicker one with paper particles ?

I agree with the safety comment previously given - I have had a slow flat on the front and before realizing it, came of around a corner ...broken collar bone etc. This weekend I had a wild slide around a corner, stopped to see if it was oil on the road, then noticed back was going flat. I would have come off for sure if it was a road tubeless.

As you know we are all on the look-out for glass and cr@p in the road - but with you commuting, it is more difficult to dodge glass because of the passing traffic by your side, so slime/sludge the only solution I think..

(oh ya like the guys said Gatorskins...! )

Tarmac runs tubeless tyres with his Campag Shamals - great wheels and I don't think he's ever punctured with the setup.

ive been riding Continental GatorSkin for more than a year, rain of shine and i yet to have a puncture!