Carbon wheels? Deep dish? What to do

Rick

Hi Guys

I'm going around in circles with all the reading I'm doing and I'm really hoping you guys can put it all together for me...

I'm putting together a spec roubaix sl3 pro - dura ace. Very excited and I just want to make sure everything is awesome. So for wheels I've been scoping out zipp 404s or the 7850-cl50 dura ace. Problem is, I really don't want to race and train on different wheels, I just can't be bothered and honestly I want to enjoy the money i spent in training as well.

My weight is 98kg and what i'm reading makes me worry about the zipps cracking. The 7850s don't have a weight limit.

I'm also in Cape Town with the pesky wind.

So my question is this: What kind of wheel is going to go the fastest but also be reliable and flexible enough for all situations (training, racing etc.)

All advice appreciated.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Only answer for a guy of your weight (I am the same weight) is Spinergy - don't need to worry about breaking spokes etc. I carry stock of the stealth wheels at R7500 per pair black or white spokes - these are carbon rims 43mm. I and many other train and race on these wheels for seasons!

http://www.spinergy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=20&products_id=81

Alternatively the Xaero light wheels are R4500.

http://www.spinergy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=20&products_id=83

The mavic cosmic carbones are pretty sweet. I dont think your weight will be an issue with those.

Also they come in clincher which for my money is the better all round wheel.

They are pricey though.

The 7850s are a bit heavier but they say the weight is mostly in the hubs so the rims are still responsive.

I'm also just trying to figure out if a deep dish is the way to go, are they amazing? For half the price of the zipp 404 i could get the 101 which looks like an awesome wheel. I'm not worrying about the price right now, I just want to know where that maximum enjoyment and performance is going to come from.

Those cosmics look really great, they were actually the first wheels to catch my eye. I read they are noisy though?

Hi Guys

I'm going around in circles with all the reading I'm doing and I'm really hoping you guys can put it all together for me...

I'm putting together a spec roubaix sl3 pro - dura ace. Very excited and I just want to make sure everything is awesome. So for wheels I've been scoping out zipp 404s or the 7850-cl50 dura ace. Problem is, I really don't want to race and train on different wheels, I just can't be bothered and honestly I want to enjoy the money i spent in training as well.

My weight is 98kg and what i'm reading makes me worry about the zipps cracking. The 7850s don't have a weight limit.

I'm also in Cape Town with the pesky wind.

So my question is this: What kind of wheel is going to go the fastest but also be reliable and flexible enough for all situations (training, racing etc.)

All advice appreciated.

What's your budget, prisma?

:rolleyes:

The 7850s are a bit heavier but they say the weight is mostly in the hubs so the rims are still responsive.

I'm also just trying to figure out if a deep dish is the way to go, are they amazing? For half the price of the zipp 404 i could get the 101 which looks like an awesome wheel. I'm not worrying about the price right now, I just want to know where that maximum enjoyment and performance is going to come from.

Those cosmics look really great, they were actually the first wheels to catch my eye. I read they are noisy though?

They are noisy but I think its a cool noise, kinda like a V8

Also what about zipp 303's? They seem to have a decent rim profile and may be longer lasting than the 404's.

But, do you want aero wheels or light wheels? Because if you want really light wheels then there are alot of other options.

Personally Id go for the 404's or the mavics, but if you want light, then something like kysyrium sl's

Do yourself a favour and get yourself two sets of wheels, one set for training and one set for racing. Its worth it.

The mavic cosmic carbones are pretty sweet. I dont think your weight will be an issue with those.

Also they come in clincher which for my money is the better all round wheel.

They are pricey though.

AGREED-GOOD CALL. R3SL

Do yourself a favour and get yourself two sets of wheels, one set for training and one set for racing. Its worth it.

I hear you but honestly, I like to play with my toys :) If i'm gonna spend 15k on anything i want to use it. I'd rather spend less on a pair of wheels that i can just use all the time if that's what it takes. I know this is not optimal, but i'm not at a level to justify changing wheels, I just want the best set for road racing that i can train on and love, every day.

They are noisy but I think its a cool noise, kinda like a V8

Also what about zipp 303's? They seem to have a decent rim profile and may be longer lasting than the 404's.

But, do you want aero wheels or light wheels? Because if you want really light wheels then there are alot of other options.

Personally Id go for the 404's or the mavics, but if you want light, then something like kysyrium sl's

Ok, the mavics are seeming like a nice option, really like the look.

To answer the question about light vs aero, I'm heavy and at 1.89m i just feel i'm going to get more performance benefit (percentage-wise) from better aero than from 300g less weight. Am I thinking correctly?

101 are alu training and racing wheels and not carbon. Don't waste your money if you are considering deep section.

Let's put it this way, going with a nice light/lightish carbon tubby vs a not so lightish clincher is like chalk and cheese.

If you really have the cash now to put a really nice bike together and can afford the Zipp 404s then also look at the HED Stinger 60 and check their weight restriction. According to a test done by USA bike mag they are the most aero wheel and winner of the comp.

There are a load of wheels out there and you really could spend a lot of time trying to decide, but at the end of the day, going for the Zipps, Stingers, Campy Bora Ultra, Mavic Carbon (various) etc will all be good choices so long as they are not weight restricted for you and have a good warranty replacement or you have insurance.

However, considering that you will be training on them expect to pay ±R500-900/tyre and also the hassle of havinng to carry a spare tubby or call a lift. Don't put slime in as it is then a waste to ride tubbies.

Clinchers are ok, but just not tubbies.

If i were you, buy the Zipps/HED and then get a seriously cheap even 2nd hand set of wheels to train with. My 2cents worth. That all I had left after buying my campy bora ultra tubbies. :) never regretted it though.

Ok, the mavics are seeming like a nice option, really like the look.

To answer the question about light vs aero, I'm heavy and at 1.89m i just feel i'm going to get more performance benefit (percentage-wise) from better aero than from 300g less weight. Am I thinking correctly?

you sure are man! The aero advantage vs. the weight advantage is greater on aero. Just check out tests done by Zipp who compare times vs. normal box section wheels. The aero wheels going to give you a huge time saving vs. 300g, but if you are heading toward a 6.8kg bike then it makes no difference.

You dont need to spend 15K, thats not needed. Ok you want one set of wheels that are awesome and that are going to be strong enough for you. Truse me I have tested many sets of wheels. My weight is 118kg, not fat. but big and strong. Myself I am a campag fan and would suggest going with shamals, but seeing that you are going to be fitting Shimano Dura Ace on the bike.... No weight limit and are great for training and racing.

These are @ CWC R12 000.00

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/imagecache/product/7850_dura_ace_wheels.jpg

You dont need to spend 15K, thats not needed. Ok you want one set of wheels that are awesome and that are going to be strong enough for you. Truse me I have tested many sets of wheels. My weight is 118kg, not fat. but big and strong. Myself I am a campag fan and would suggest going with shamals, but seeing that you are going to be fitting Shimano Dura Ace on the bike.... No weight limit and are great for training and racing.

These are @ CWC R12 000.00

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/imagecache/product/7850_dura_ace_wheels.jpg

Shamals are rock solid and can be fitted with ceramic bearings. I have a set. But I would not suggest them for aero. Crit racing and climbing stages yes though.