Sitting on the top tube of a carbon frame?

Tokyo

I got a sl3 and weigh about 98kg and never ever thought sitting on the top tube would be a problem :huh:

Anyways if it breaks its insured :P

Until you tell (or someone else tells) the insurance that it broke because you sat on it. Then they say "...not intended use, schmackity, blammity, hoo-ha... claim repudiated...". Then you have to sue the insurance and that costs as much as three of your bikes.

Anyway, I don't think it will break either. As I understand, carbon is stronger than aluminium in all respects, except for direct impact from relatively sharp hard objects eg. sudden hard impact against a sharp rock.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until you tell (or someone else tells) the insurance that it broke because you sat on it. Then they say "...not intended use, schmackity, blammity, hoo-ha... claim repudiated...". Then you have to sue the insurance and that costs as much as three of your bikes.

They will pay out. Driving over it accidentally when you forget it behind the car is also not "...not intended use, schmackity, blammity, hoo-ha... claim repudiated..."

They will pay out. Driving over it accidentally when you forget it behind the car is also not "...not intended use, schmackity, blammity, hoo-ha... claim repudiated..."

When you sit on the top frame, do you walk backwards trip and accidently go and sit on the top tube or do you make a concious decision to sit on it?

The point is, try not to give your insurer, that includes the agents handling claims on their behalf, a reason to repudiate a claim. Like I said, even if you are right, you will have to sue them and that costs a lot of money. Use it, don't use it.

atraut

We got your little boast - thanks.

Were you perhaps the chap who some lady politely asked 'where your helmet was' the other day?

Relax buster.

Hey Drongo, sorry I did not take your entry-level-bike feelings into consideration when I posted, and for that I apologise! Still don't make out the connection between my bike's top tube and my helmet.

Hey Drongo, sorry I did not take your entry-level-bike feelings into consideration when I posted, and for that I apologise! Still don't make out the connection between my bike's top tube and my helmet.

Easy, dudes, easy...

Back to the thread,

I have not heard of a top tube shatter because of a 74 kg bum.

Will continue in those rare moments to chill in waiting on da tube.

Interesting topic, Foxie.... Continue to bring your contributions. ^_^