Table Mountain Safety

kandui

not every bergie is a criminal. dont treat others as you wouldnt like to be treated in your time of destitution. Use the moment of friendly greeting to get a good look. maybe someone should have a lid_cam handy so u can pick up the mugshots of the sketchy dudes on the trail.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cell phone with GPS tracking. Let them steal it (trap the bastards into it) and track there asses. Hopefully SAPS will oblige and do there part.

Lets orginise a mass ride, stop at each "bergie" and just stare at them. Like Cell C says, watch you like HAAAAWWWKKKKK.

Makes me so mad reading these stories. :angry:

Hectic story Bos!

I hope you mate heals up quickly.

Carrying weapons or pepper spray and making sure that you have only a cheap cellphone does nothing in a situation like this.

What the eff does one do?

splat: cant let the fear corner us into silence and inaction. Just consider your normal situation, take extra precautions where u can, and go for it. Cnat let these fckers win. I refuse. **** em!

Edited by Capricorn

They do not exactly have a badge stating I am looking dodgy, so the idea is they need to now they are also being watched, all of them as they watch all of us. This is not a discussion about economics or status :angry:

yeah, tru, so dont make it such by advocating a despicable behaviour. your statements smacked of prejudging a human being because of his/her status. Maybe reconsider how you state your case... just staring at someone off the bat implies a big divide, and since no crime has been proven, it can only come down to the fact the 'bergie' is not of the same station...

Edited by Capricorn

splat: cant let the fear corner us into silence and inaction. Just consider your normal situation, take extra precautions where u can, and go for it. Cnat let these fckers win. I refuse. **** em!

Where does it end? We are already prisoners in our own homes, places of work, schools, etc etc. Now you're made to feel this way while trying to enjoy the outdoors, its not right.

I didn't move back here to have to feel like this, the excuse that this is Africa is bullshite. Unfortunately nothing will happen and this sort of thing will only get worse and this scum gets more & more brazen.

Where does it end? We are already prisoners in our own homes, places of work, schools, etc etc. Now you're made to feel this way while trying to enjoy the outdoors, its not right.

I didn't move back here to have to feel like this, the excuse that this is Africa is bullshite. Unfortunately nothing will happen and this sort of thing will only get worse and this scum gets more & more brazen.

I think the only way to go forward from here is if somehow we can get more group rides going, with people that want to do the same kind of riding. This I say especially when I think about open areas like Eden, Coetzenburg, Table mountain, Majik forest etc. Unfortunately there are just days when you want to ride but your friends are not able to make it, etc etc and then there needs to be some other way to still continue riding.

If there is some kind of system that helps us to ride more in groups of 4 riders plus then this will go a long way to ride more safely. It will also be easier to confront suspicious people that just seem to hang around aimlessly in the forest. Descent bike clubs would go a long way to get this kind of thing going. As cyclists we need to find some kind of solution for this thing ourselves because nothing will happen from the government's side.

Hey Guys, Thanks for your replys, I dont want to Hi-jack this thread altogether though, but this was just to close to home for me.

I just spoke to Dumbo, He said It happened on the Eden DH track. He was going down a drop when someone hit him, right on the lip of the drop sending him flying down to a crash landing. He seems fine, Bruised on his arms and face. They broke the helmet with the blow, and then stole it.

He just wants his bike back.

He is going back there with Police to go show them the spot and then to go look for it as athere are apparently a few shacks that went up in the area.

Atleast he is not just letting it go.

Please send this on to all your mates in the Know.

Bos

post-1279-0-14719000-1296560516.jpg

I think the only way to go forward from here is if somehow we can get more group rides going, with people that want to do the same kind of riding. This I say especially when I think about open areas like Eden, Coetzenburg, Table mountain, Majik forest etc. Unfortunately there are just days when you want to ride but your friends are not able to make it, etc etc and then there needs to be some other way to still continue riding.

If there is some kind of system that helps us to ride more in groups of 4 riders plus then this will go a long way to ride more safely. It will also be easier to confront suspicious people that just seem to hang around aimlessly in the forest. Descent bike clubs would go a long way to get this kind of thing going. As cyclists we need to find some kind of solution for this thing ourselves because nothing will happen from the government's side.

Is there no way of possibly paying people to look out, kinda like a "biker guard"

yep am keen what time and where to start

Also keen!

We need to setup a `solo dummie` rider with the rest of the riders hiding in the bush, with baseball bats, etc! Everybody knows what would happen next........... :angry:

Need to set an example so they stop mugging/stabbing/attacking riders on the mountain.

Unfortunately the Police cant even look after normal citizens in the street or in their houses, there are simply not enough!

Edited by david16v

Guest Omega Man

Oh Crap was that Dumbo? Sorry didn't read the rest of the thread. That's horrible.

Edited by Omega Man

I've mentioned this before in a similar thread: Where/who is the market for the goods being taken in these attacks???? I can understand cellphones, wallets, etc. But the bikes and now even helmets??? We certainly must address the symptoms as mentioned by various Hubbers in this thread, but the (unknown) cause is of real concern to me. Could it be that there ARE buyers out there??

flymango: when u need drugs, anything of value is exactly what u need to find and sell. I think criminals are cottoning onto the price of bikes, this is afterall NOT a poorman's pastime. The value of the target, the location for the crime, the fact that the item doubles as the means of escape. it's all very convenient.

I've mentioned this before in a similar thread: Where/who is the market for the goods being taken in these attacks???? I can understand cellphones, wallets, etc. But the bikes and now even helmets??? We certainly must address the symptoms as mentioned by various Hubbers in this thread, but the (unknown) cause is of real concern to me. Could it be that there ARE buyers out there??

Of course there are buyers out there, this is becoming way too common place. Its Africa, I suppose we have to put up with it. Nothing can or will be done without the back-up of the Police.

Otherwise you will be the criminal for defending yourself.

I would love to see the crime stats on this sort of thing

But are these R20k bikes being sold for R100 to a very uninformed buyer to pay for the next fix, or are these bikes being sold for R1000 to pay for the next fix and have some change, to a more informed buyer? Two very different propositions, for which I don't have the answer, but would like to know.

if a junkie is willing to sleep with 200 men in one night for a single fix of her favorite drug, do u think she is concerned with economics? The value of that one single hit far far outweights the effort expended and risks taken to earn it..

I'm glad u dont understand, because on that level, i doubt there is much rational logic being applied.