Load Bin Bike Carrier DIY

Wedge

So I hate having to chuck my bike on the back of the bakkie, it just leads to scratches on the bike and the bakkie load bin.

I made a few sketches on Sketch-up:

http://photostand.co.za/images/4584og2mghjwuplubwl.jpg

http://photostand.co.za/images/367sowy5owp3o2jtkxn4.jpg

I have the Material already, just a piece of Aluminium Square tube, 2 Skewers and two short pieces of 15mm diameter aluminium tubing. The 15mm tubing will be riveted to the square tubing and the skewers will go through the tubing.

As for mounting, the Bantam has two holes at the rear of the loadbin, the rack will be bolted to these holes.

I hope that somebody that also needs a cheap bike rack for their bakkie will find this helpful. The complete project cost me less than R200, and I'm sure that if you have some spares lying around that it can be even cheaper.

Will post pics of the real deal as soon as I can find time to assemble it. :blush:

:thumbup:

So I hate having to chuck my bike on the back of the bakkie, it just leads to scratches on the bike and the bakkie load bin.

I made a few sketches on Sketch-up:

http://photostand.co.za/images/4584og2mghjwuplubwl.jpg

http://photostand.co.za/images/367sowy5owp3o2jtkxn4.jpg

I have the Material already, just a piece of Aluminium Square tube, 2 Skewers and two short pieces of 15mm diameter aluminium tubing. The 15mm tubing will be riveted to the square tubing and the skewers will go through the tubing.

As for mounting, the Bantam has two holes at the rear of the loadbin, the rack will be bolted to these holes.

I hope that somebody that also needs a cheap bike rack for their bakkie will find this helpful. The complete project cost me less than R200, and I'm sure that if you have some spares lying around that it can be even cheaper.

Will post pics of the real deal as soon as I can find time to assemble it. :blush:

V NICE Wedge.

Now is the time to remove your OEM front skewer and replace with some BLING! :thumbup:

Of course you will have to replace the rear as well :thumbup:

You are going to have to add some material in to your design though. You will need about 30mm of flat bar between the round tubing and the rect. tubing or your fork dropouts will bind against the rect.

From a design perspective it is always good to include the component you are going to fix/mount/attach so that you can see potential problems. :)

Thank you for the advice, I was thinking of raising it a bit so that the fork does not "touch" the square tubing. I want the fork to rest on the skewer, not the tubing.

I just need to get it done before this weekends Herald, I dont want to drive 130kms with the bike lying flat.

Two pieces of square Alu long enough to fit into the load bin . Fit the Holdfast onto the alum for front and rear wheel . Two pieces of Flat Alu . one Square front of bin , one at back , use Flat to connect front and back . Don't rivit back of Flat to Square but make a slot so you can move Square for bigger smaller bikes . Mine is about 5 years old and I have never attached it to the bin in any way . Fasten the bikes and off I go .

Wedge

There is a common thing that I see during bike transport that is a BAD move.

Don't rely on this frame to support your bike!!. Strap it too. The drop out tabs are designed to be fixed to a wheel that moves with the frame. If the entire weight of the bike is clamped to a fixed frame and wobbles away over 260km it is going to seriously stress your dropout tabs.

Have made something similar this weekend, will take and post some pics a little later tomorrow has a clam system which let's you set it at a height you want in the load bin so you can pack things under the bike

I got tired of using blankets, noodles, matresses etc and came up with this:

post-17843-0-54270200-1296551808.jpg

post-17843-0-89317800-1296551823.jpg

Add some tie downs to reduce stress on the drop outs during transport and presto! Been using mine for a few years now without any hassles. Wheels stand up between the bikes. Made from square tube and machined pins.

Add some tie downs to reduce stress on the drop outs during transport and presto! Been using mine for a few years now without any hassles. Wheels stand up between the bikes. Made from square tube and machined pins.

Hey THIS is a very cool idea - do you rivet the frame to the bakkie or does it stand alone through transport? :thumbup: :thumbup:

*snip*

That is exactly what I'm planning to do! Just a little different.

Thanks for the pic!

I know someone who used the cones of the hub, just welded that onto the sqaure tubing with skewers, it is basically like puting your fork into a hub again...just an idea :)

Edited by MTB_Roadie

I got some extremely cool rubber tie downs this weekend at P'nP. They are completely rubber and have arrow heads on the ends and slits all along the lenght. You can use it at any length or even join a few to make them longer. Guaranteed not to scratch anything (except if you tie it over some sand that is on the frame).

Hey THIS is a very cool idea - do you rivet the frame to the bakkie or does it stand alone through transport? :thumbup: :thumbup:

No rivets, bolts or any type of drilling into the bin. The weight of the bikes holds it in place. I use a closed cell high density polyeurathene self adhesive foam on the under side to minimise the slipping. The pins are CNC machined and the frame is powdercoated. Nice thing is that it fits most bakkies except the older Toyota Hilux. Drop in, use and remove. Takes up no space in your garage either.

No rivets, bolts or any type of drilling into the bin. The weight of the bikes holds it in place. I use a closed cell high density polyeurathene self adhesive foam on the under side to minimise the slipping. The pins are CNC machined and the frame is powdercoated. Nice thing is that it fits most bakkies except the older Toyota Hilux. Drop in, use and remove. Takes up no space in your garage either.

And where does the Tandem go???????

Just see space for thee half bikes there!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Big H

is there anyone in the cape town area that can manufacture something like this for me? i dont know anyone with the correct machines or ability to do it.

Thanks

You need a long wheel base bakkie and an extension!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Us Durbanites can make a plan!

Come to think of it it takes two of you to do what one of us can do........... ;)