Baby Seat question

boink

Hey Hubbers

Looking to get the youngest hubber in the family into bike riding and have been looking at the Ibert Green Safe-T-Seat. http://www.ibertinc.com/

I like the idea of having the little dude on the front so he can see where we going and get a feel for what bike riding is actually about.

Anyone own one of these? Can you suggest an alternative or offer a review of how solid the seat is and how well it works?

Not a cheap item so would like to get some feedback prior to paying up.

Thanks,

Mike

They are brilliant. I really can't give any more input over and above the hundreds of reviews on the web but I am in Somerset West if you happen to be in the area and want to take a look or try it out before buying one.

You are going to get the naysayers attacking you now for wanting to put a kid on a bike but the bottom line is to use your good common sense and judge when and where you should be using it, I use mine mainly on fire roads and jeep tracks in Eden and Jonkershoek and try and stay off the roads as much as possible, ride within 30 to 50% of my comfortably safety zone and have no issues using it.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/83795-the-official-riding-with-kids-thread/page__st__20__p__1157975__hl__kids__fromsearch__1#entry1157975

Imported mine via the taketwo website, it was the cheapest I could find and set me back about R1200.00.

Thanks XTC1

Seen all the pics etc on the interwebs but always good to hear from someone who has the item. :thumbup:

You can get them from buycycle now as well as directly from the "official importer" www.iBertsouthafrica.co.za

Love the kids on bikes thread.

I have a rear mounted Giant Seat, little Hubber loves it 100% but he is nearly 4. Littlest Hubber she is 5mths and wife is not keen on her riding in the seat.

If I had the spare cash, I would guy iBert but I would buy from Take2 (Amazon Portal) and not local due to the price difference:

Take2: http://more.take2.co.za/moreusa-ibert-safe-t-front-mounted-child-bicycle-seat-b000h4e7eo.html

R1086 incl delivery

Bucycle: http://www.buycycle.co.za/buyparts/baby-seats/ibert/ibert-green-safe-t-seat-ibert.html

R1499 plus delivery of R75

Thats nearly R500 difference

Take2 take 18-20 days but I often buy from the Amazon Portal - actually got a u-lock on order that was R200 cheaper than CRC :)

Also got the Gaint rear mount for 3 year old and it does work great . I found that when you need to do a gap jump you don't need to really manual the front wheel .

Thanks for the Take 2 tip ;) the local importer quoted me R1200.

Do you have to pay additional import duties or is the price you see on the take 2 site the total cost?

And the final question is would take 2 deal with any warranty claims etc?

Thanks Chubba

Looked at the weeride but was worried about how it mounts with regards to cables running along the top tube? Is this a potential issue?

Good work on getting junior to wear his lid, ours also has an issue with hats etc, haven't tried a lid yet!

Thanks Chubba

Looked at the weeride but was worried about how it mounts with regards to cables running along the top tube? Is this a potential issue?

Good work on getting junior to wear his lid, ours also has an issue with hats etc, haven't tried a lid yet!

No problem with the cables. I have a bike where the cables run down the underside of the bottom tube so no interference. More of an issue was the rear shock, so that's why the kangaroo seat.

As suggested by fellow hubbers - put the kid in the seat put the helmet on and RIDE....they quickly forgot when the winds in their face. :D

I bought the Hamax Siesta recliner, and the Hamax Smiley single point fit from Chain Reaction, one for JHB, and one for in Knysna.

Great seats, lots of safety features, my daughter loves it. Both are rear fitting, great shock absorbing through the stell attachment arms.

Made in Norway, quality is superb, very easy to fit/remove.

reclining version is not all that useful,just an interesting feature that costs a little more, and the Smiley works just as well.

very happy with both, my daughter is comfortable, and loves riding about in the seat. Will last till she is 22kg, can recommend them highly. lots of reviews on CRC website too...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24359

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24358

Thanks for the alternative Rude, more interweb searching on for this afternoon!

Dirt-rider - thanks for the tip, not sure how keen mom will be on me attempting a gap jump with or without junior on board!

Take2 do free delivery on R350 or more and the price you see is the price you pay - all duties included. What I do though is first check out the item on Amazon US (only look at items coming direct from them) and then lookup the item on Take2.

I do at least one purchase a month from them and never a problem.

I was looking at the weeride and the iBert as I ride a Mongoose Teocali Elite Trail bike so a rear mount seat is out of the question. It looks like the front mount needs at least 20mm of head tube sticking out to mount and the iBert needs 20mm on the steerer to be able to mount. I don't have that much head tube sticking out and about 10mm of spacers to mount the iBert. does anybody have sone close up pictures of the front mount on their bikes? I am sure that I will be able to make an adaptor if the space is an issue.

Are there any second hand weerides or iBerts out there?

I was looking at the weeride and the iBert as I ride a Mongoose Teocali Elite Trail bike so a rear mount seat is out of the question. It looks like the front mount needs at least 20mm of head tube sticking out to mount and the iBert needs 20mm on the steerer to be able to mount. I don't have that much head tube sticking out and about 10mm of spacers to mount the iBert. does anybody have sone close up pictures of the front mount on their bikes? I am sure that I will be able to make an adaptor if the space is an issue.

Are there any second hand weerides or iBerts out there?

i have very little head tube on my zula and the weeride just fits on. will try get some pics for you on the weekend.

i have very little head tube on my zula and the weeride just fits on. will try get some pics for you on the weekend.

Thanks Chubba. Pictures would be appreciated. I prefer the look of the weeride compared to the iBert. My son is 15 months and there seems to be a bit more support for his back on the weeride.

Thanks Chubba. Pictures would be appreciated. I prefer the look of the weeride compared to the iBert. My son is 15 months and there seems to be a bit more support for his back on the weeride.

Hi Grebel,

I'm the official distributor for Weeride in SA - www.weeride.co.za our stock includes longer hex head bolts for the bigger head sets. You can order directly from us, buycycle.co.za or there is stock in Cycle lab, Cajees and a few other bike stores. My partner is based in Durban - you can drop him a mail tyrone@weeride.co.za if you need more info.

See pick attached.post-12382-0-67520000-1298616509.jpg

Rgds

Grant.