Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how come? The person to contact is Meurant on number xxx-xxx-xxx.. it's only my mobile in the car <_<. I'm sure Oh Mega Man can assist us with Meurant's contact details.

If there is a trail maintenance day, please start a thread. I'm definitely in! I mean, those trails dont magically appear by themselves, right? *looks at the lycracladarmy for almost always failing to pitch up for previous trail maintenance days*

how come? The person to contact is Meurant on number xxx-xxx-xxx.. it's only my mobile in the car <_<. I'm sure Oh Mega Man can assist us with Meurant's contact details.

If there is a trail maintenance day, please start a thread. I'm definitely in! I mean, those trails dont magically appear by themselves, right? *looks at the lycracladarmy for almost always failing to pitch up for previous trail maintenance days*

Yeah was curious of Meurant still does it. Seems Tokai is a sensitive one. Very keen to get involved in some responsible building/maintenance.

Going to speak to Meurant today.

fantastic! let us know if/when it will be scheduled for. Will be there like a bear! Unless, of course, if it falls between 17 - 28 March. Going to be in sunny mauritius soaking up the rays...

i heard rumors of a falling out between the track maintainers and SANpark. <_< But let us know what Meurant says.

In about 2005/2006 I tried to get involved after doing a trip to Whistler. I felt it could be a fantastic opportunity to build some great marked trails. Turned out to be such a bureaucratic nightmare with several people arguing over the direction and not much happening.

Tokai is a treasure of great riding and would be great to help shape it.

Yes, Tokai is a sensitive one because there are so many stakeholders. What I know is that lots of talking already took place, but not much have materialized this far.

My suggestion is to talk to Pain or Shine and get a volunteer work party together. We've done it often before, we can do it again. You might have noticed that recently some of the worst braking holes were filled in and sand traps swept. That was the work of Pain or Shine (among others) and not the inhabitants of the Fairy Garden.

I'll be there to help too.

Yes, Tokai is a sensitive one because there are so many stakeholders. What I know is that lots of talking already took place, but not much have materialized this far.

My suggestion is to talk to Pain or Shine and get a volunteer work party together. We've done it often before, we can do it again. You might have noticed that recently some of the worst braking holes were filled in and sand traps swept. That was the work of Pain or Shine (among others) and not the inhabitants of the Fairy Garden.

I'll be there to help too.

Pain? Shine?

Pain? Shine?

Here..

The topic is both sensitive and at the same time, clear-cut and set in contract. The sensitivity is emotionally based in positions of power, and we all know what that brings.. The biggest obstacle to having maintained trails is getting ground staff at parks to acknowledge that the framework document has been signed and set in place. This gives volunteers permission to access the trails (on permission, you see where this is going) to keep riders happy and rogue building at bay. Unfortunately it is not that easy as biking is still seen as 'Mickey Mouse' without the unity of bikers belonging to some sort of body.

Positive: It will happen, plans are in motion, funding requests have been submitted but patience is vital and rogue building needs to be discourage now more than ever...

Volunteer days come from motivation, build motivation first and the trails follow. When you wanna go?

Here..

The topic is both sensitive and at the same time, clear-cut and set in contract. The sensitivity is emotionally based in positions of power, and we all know what that brings.. The biggest obstacle to having maintained trails is getting ground staff at parks to acknowledge that the framework document has been signed and set in place. This gives volunteers permission to access the trails (on permission, you see where this is going) to keep riders happy and rogue building at bay. Unfortunately it is not that easy as biking is still seen as 'Mickey Mouse' without the unity of bikers belonging to some sort of body.

Positive: It will happen, plans are in motion, funding requests have been submitted but patience is vital and rogue building needs to be discourage now more than ever...

Volunteer days come from motivation, build motivation first and the trails follow. When you wanna go?

Thanks for the reply. So what is your position in all of this?

xCers dragging brakes over lips of jumps and causing ruts the whole length of a section of DH track. Yeah, color me super motivated... :thumbup:

so when?

Thanks for the reply. So what is your position in all of this?

Yeah, I got a great title but that's for my real job, I'm just a volunteer... bureaucracy is a headache.

Firstly, the very diverse interests of the different groups involved, make working together difficult as there is no common goal. Secondly, there is no single authority that is the ultimate boss of Tokai and can make firm informed decisions. Thirdly, I think that there is somewhat of a territotial issue also with power positioning happening and egos (individual and organisational) getting in the way.

The stakeholders are the Mtbikers (AMArider), SANParks & Table Mountain National Park, the forestry company, the fynbos fanatics, the cut the alien tree mafia, the save the pines lobby, the hikers, the horse riders, the save the baboons lobby and a few others I'm forgetting. The land belongs to SANParks, the forestry is managed by a private company, and everyone else wants a say also.

For us Mtbikers, it all translate into frustration, inaction, overused single track and not enough maintenance. Sad, but true.

(Btw, I'm not involved in the "boardroom" part of this.)

Ok, so permission has been granted by this document you mentioned. I also gather myself and a couple of mates cant round ourselves up for some quick maintenance on sections of existing track. That might be seen as 'rogue maintenance'?

The way you've phrased your response suggests maintenance can only take place on an organised basis with some sort of oversight present?