BikeJacking in Irene, please be on the look-out

mtbbiker

In addition to my previous post, please send photo's and details of any of these "hijacked" bicycles, I can circulate the info to the bigger network (all the surrounding CPF's, community members on our contact lists, the Centurion Security forum, - who forward it to all their members, as well as the security companies that assists us in the area!)

Any ideas as to where these bikes are ending up? What are they doing with them?

@ Ultimate hubber, my opinion is that they took the bikes immediately to the vicinity of the L&J squatter’s camp situated between the R21 and the M57. From there, properly distributed to Tembisa and being sold for next to nothing! For the record, we have managed to get our crime down with our CPF ‘s activities to the extent that we had only 3 house burglaries in Lyttelton sector 3 in April! However, in the days that things went rough, the vehicles that we lost due to hijacks etc. all went to Tembisa. We managed to recover a lot of them on our own, even without tracking devices! Point is, to an extend we are known to some in’s and out’s in Tembisa and will see whether we can do something to get info on the where-about’s of these bicycles!

Hi all,

To add another area to the list and Im not sure if it is the same guys or not but we were 3 of us on road bikes at about 8:30am on Sunday(8/05/2011) morning had 5 guys come out of the long grass at us on London Ave just north of Summit Road near Blue Hills. They all had knives but luckily being three of us we were able to create enough confusion(and they were a little disorganised) that we could weave through them. However the guys were not afraid to swipe the knives at us and definately meant business. Had we been less than 3 I suspect we would not have been so lucky. For what it's worth we are now planning on carrying Pepper Spray.

Will definatley keep an eye out for any bikes in the area that look a bit fancy to be a township commuter.

@ Ultimate hubber, my opinion is that they took the bikes immediately to the vicinity of the L&J squatter’s camp situated between the R21 and the M57. From there, properly distributed to Tembisa and being sold for next to nothing! For the record, we have managed to get our crime down with our CPF ‘s activities to the extent that we had only 3 house burglaries in Lyttelton sector 3 in April! However, in the days that things went rough, the vehicles that we lost due to hijacks etc. all went to Tembisa. We managed to recover a lot of them on our own, even without tracking devices! Point is, to an extend we are known to some in’s and out’s in Tembisa and will see whether we can do something to get info on the where-about’s of these bicycles!

Hi Herman

My wife (Etresia) that was involved gave me your number last night. I'll give you a call and sent you some pictures of what to be on the look-out for. I am keen to do what ever I can to put them behind bars

• 3 weeks later...

I just dont cycle there any more...FINAL!!!!'

Got mugged with a friend there a year ago. My bike is not worth more than my life!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

For the past 5 years I MTB ride in Pta east, Mooikloof, Atterbury, Zwavelpoort, Tiegerpoort and back to Moreleta, up and till today I was blessed with no problems. Any problems in our area?

Strongs

• 2 weeks later...

Dit is aangenaam om julle mee te deel dat daar laasnaweek 'n arrestasie deur van die fietsryers in Irene gemaak is! Inligting het dit dat die persoon alreeds met ten minste 6 sake verbind word! Hy is 'n Mosambieker - blykbaar word die fietse met trokke na Mosambiek vervoer! Lyttelton SAPS hanteer hierdie as 'n prioriteitsaak en ek is seker verdere arrestasies en die oopvlek van die sindikaat sal eersdaags volg!

Knap gedaan!

Aanvanklike inligting t.o.v. arrestasie:

Hi guys,

Here is a photo of the bike jacker Dominic and company caught on Saturday

morning. He was taken to Lyttelton SAP and is in police custody. Thanks to

Dominic, Niel and everyone else who was involved in catching this creature.

He is "allegedly" part of the bike jacking syndicate (his admission).

Please forward this photo to every cyclist you know and ask them in turn to

circulate it as well. Maybe someone will recognize him. These guys have

apparently been getting off at the Irene and Pinedene stations, hence the

bike jackings in that area. This guy was caught on the south side of

Pinedene station area where the grass is still long. Thankfully the grass

around the shooting range/cement factory area has been burnt and there is

now good visibility. Cheers,The Wades

Good day,

I am involved in Lyttelton Sector 3 CPF (Community Police Forum), I am the head of Patrols in the area. In the past we suffer some losses and had some attacks in the area between Nelmapius, Botha ave, N1 and Pierre van Ryneveld . With the support of some role players, we manage to catch the perpetrators. That was about a year ago – and then the incidents in that area was something of the past.

I am a keen MTB’er myself and would very much like to be part of the process to stop this in the Irene area as well. For the record, it also falls within my (our) area!

Could anyone that was involved in any of the incidents please get in contact with me, I would like to meet with you and would also like to arrange that you go out there with me and show me exactly where it happened.

Furthermore, we have a well organised response network consisting out of very committed CPF patrollers, Security Company’s support, as well as communication lines with the S.A.P.S. that works better than the normal 10111!!

We have a 24-hour emergency number to activate this mobilisation – our JOC’s (Joint Operational Centre) number is: 079 528 1630. Please report any incidents A.S.A.P.

I can also be contacted 24/7 to respond immediately with my team, my personal cell: 082 556 5591.

My email: patrols@pvr.org.za

We are busy with the operational planning to combat this type of crimes in our area – hopefully we could make a breakthrough A.S.A.P.

Regards,

Herman Steynberg

Good to know! :thumbup:

Afrikaans: Knap gedaan! Nog altyd 'n vermoede gahad dat dit Moz toe gaan. Nou moet ons nog net hierdie kriminele hier onder vang!

English: Well done! Always suspected it was going to Moz. Now we must just still catch these criminals bellow!

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/104610-carte-blanche-tv/

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/104570-bikejacking-bluehills-kyalami/

I must have said it 10 times in the past !! I have seen 2nd hand top of the range bikes in a bike shop in Moz .

I must have said it 10 times in the past !! I have seen 2nd hand top of the range bikes in a bike shop in Moz .

In that case, pass that shop name over to the Carte Blanche investigative team. That'll give them a very good starting point for their investigation. Should be easy enough to trace serial numbers of bikes stolen in SA and match to the bikes in that shop.

In that case, pass that shop name over to the Carte Blanche investigative team. That'll give them a very good starting point for their investigation. Should be easy enough to trace serial numbers of bikes stolen in SA and match to the bikes in that shop.

i am in Mozambique (Maputo) often,where is this shop ?