Convert road bike to commuter\hybrid

Tubehunter

Hello,

Has anyone else changed the drop bar setup with sti's to a riser MTB bar with shifters and what was the result? Research I've done suggests that it's a little more involved than simply swopping the above items.

Got an old Trek carbon road bike I'm looking to turn into a commuter.

(Off to a golf day shortly. Will check back here over the weekend. thanks in advance to anyone who may have some info!)

Shot

Jay

Hi Jay

I did this with an old bike of my mine to create a set-up for my wife who favoured the mtb bars.

I had to:

- Replace drop bars to mtb bars

- Replace sti shifters to 10 speed mtb shifters and flat bar brakes

- Replaced rear deraileur (initially i tried to keep the original ultegra 10 speed road derailleur but shifting performance was very poor).

Everything new the additional components to create the set up probably cost in the region of R1-R1.5k.

The front 2 speed ultegra (i.e. road) derailleur worked fine on my conversion but i believe it is possible that this could cause problems.

There are flat road bar specific components (i think shimano R550 or R770) or Microshift components which you could import if you wanted "the right tools for the job"

I did it the other way around a few months back. Bought a bike for my son and took riser bars, dual controls off. Unfortunately I only had 9spd stis so i had to get new cassette, chain, deraileur to make it work. Which part of country are you in. Is yoyr Trek 8/9 speed. Still have the bars, 8spd shifters available if you are interested.

My opinion, not worth the cost or effort. Hybrids have no second hand value so you can pick one up second hand for around a grand - new they are about R4000. I recently bought a Raleigh Platinum Breeze for 900 and an Avalache Mistral for 750, both with Acera groupsets. You will battle to convert anything at those prices.

Yes but surely Trek carbon will be a better ride than a Raleigh or an Avalanche??

I did it the other way around a few months back. Bought a bike for my son and took riser bars, dual controls off. Unfortunately I only had 9spd stis so i had to get new cassette, chain, deraileur to make it work. Which part of country are you in. Is yoyr Trek 8/9 speed. Still have the bars, 8spd shifters available if you are interested.

Hello SM,

I'm in Cape Town. In Lagoon Beach in Milnerton for now, but moving towards Kirstenhof soon. Trek is a 9 speed with Ultegra throughout. Very keen to checkout what you have.

Shot

Jay

Hi Jay

I did this with an old bike of my mine to create a set-up for my wife who favoured the mtb bars.

I had to:

- Replace drop bars to mtb bars

- Replace sti shifters to 10 speed mtb shifters and flat bar brakes

- Replaced rear deraileur (initially i tried to keep the original ultegra 10 speed road derailleur but shifting performance was very poor).

Everything new the additional components to create the set up probably cost in the region of R1-R1.5k.

The front 2 speed ultegra (i.e. road) derailleur worked fine on my conversion but i believe it is possible that this could cause problems.

There are flat road bar specific components (i think shimano R550 or R770) or Microshift components which you could import if you wanted "the right tools for the job"

Lekka info Ryinc! Checking out my options. Not in too much of a rush, so I'll research the Microshift and Shimano road bits!

Yes but surely Trek carbon will be a better ride than a Raleigh or an Avalanche??

Precisely the reason I'm looking to do this. Want an upright ride option on something that has a smooth and much lighter feel than the entry level hybrid off the shelf options.

Precisely the reason I'm looking to do this. Want an upright ride option on something that has a smooth and much lighter feel than the entry level hybrid off the shelf options.

There's nothing like passing some roadies whilst you're sitting in your upright position and greeting them with a cheery "Morning All". Another positive is that you are breathing new life into an old frame. Just do it.

• 4 weeks later...

Starting the change over this weekend....

Just need to get some brake levers and I should be good to go!

This is close to what the bike looks like now before the changes:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Tubehunter/Cycling/Mine.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi

Did you ever complete this conversion.

Reason I am asking, I have a Fuji racer I want to convert to a semi hybrid.

I have had a few back ops, plus my wrist. I am going to be operated on my neck early next year and do not want to stop riding.

I still want to take part in certain fun ride races, therefore I want to keep my existing bike, but alter it so I can sit more upright to alleviate the pain.

If you did complete this project, could you tell me what parts you used and what the pitfalls are?

• 3 months later...

Forgot I had this topic but anyway, it has taken a lot longer than I originally planned for and well the bike was lying in pieces in the garage for QUITE some time. The main hold up was the seat post that was fused to the carbon frame. Tried all manner of backyard tricks that went nowhere. Big shout out to Mark at Crown Cycles who eventually rescued the frame from my grubby, frustrated no result hands and got it sorted.

Was awesome to get her back up. And running and she's been for a short spin to see what she runs like, which was AWESOME. Yep, she'll mostly be used by the better half as her ride of choice when we're on the tar.

Got some vinyl that still needs to go on, but here she is now before I put ladies seat and other bits on to make the size better for my lady.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Tubehunter/image_zpsdfca2c55.jpg

That's very nice :thumbup: . Well done of the conversion. Who did the spray paint job for you and more or less what did they charge for it? I have an old Trek that i also want to respray.

Part of the reason this project took so long, is that I sanded down the fork and frame by hand. Prepped with Rustoleum Primer, upwards of 4 coats of Rustoleum gloss white on the frame and fork, then 3 coats of clear to finish her off. Groupo got Rustoleum metal primer in a matt white finish x 2 coats and 3 coats of clear to protect. All items from builders warehouse. These items were around 500 clips. All in cost with new shifters, bars, stem, brake levers, et al and full service with rebuild from the mech was around 2K. Have a hybrid that weighs around 8Kgs and rides like a dream

Most difficult part was having the patience to walk away after initial base coats and allow these to dry correctly. Fun project. Eager to finish the other rolling chassis I have now...

Edited by Tubehunter