Electric Mountain Bikes on a MTB race.

Gerlach

A quick question, are Electric Mountain bikes aloud on MTB race like the Karoo 2 Coast? If i'm not mistaking "and there some other riders that seen the same thing" that i guy on a E-bike with racing number pedaling pas  us on Simola Hill with like no hard pedaling work. :mellow:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick question, are Electric Mountain bikes aloud on MTB race like the Karoo 2 Coast? If i'm not mistaking "and there some other riders that seen the same thing" that i guy on a E-bike with racing number pedaling pas us on Simola Hill with like no hard pedaling work. :mellow:

There was one at this year's Attakwas as well, not sure if if he did the long or short one, but he didn't compete for any prizes, it was someone with some sort of a disability, not exactly sure in what form but he was given the chance to live and ride a dream that many of us would like to do as well especially the long one which I am unable to train for because I work my longest hours and I am quite busy over December.

I am all for it if it is assisting a disability. But if an able-bodied comes from behind shouting "track", "passing right" I will not take kind to it. Even worse would be if he/she is in full spez kit on a spez e-bike (does spez even have one?) ????????

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Think they have yes, but in the end, who is he / she / it bull[emoji90] ing? Only themselves if they are able-bodied and not working in the race assisting when someone needs help.

A quick question, are Electric Mountain bikes aloud on MTB race like the Karoo 2 Coast? If i'm not mistaking "and there some other riders that seen the same thing" that i guy on a E-bike with racing number pedaling pas  us on Simola Hill with like no hard pedaling work. :mellow:

IMO If its not silent its aloud, otherwise its not allowed.  

IMO If its not silent its aloud, otherwise its not allowed.  

your not aloud to cycle past any people unless they're bikes brake...

During a steep incline at the K2C I was passed by what I think was an e-bike. He was quite vocal in demanding right of way. The speed and the way he peddled just did not look right, my fellow suffering cyclists thought the same.

All of us in the group were quite upset, busting your chops and this person cruises past you. It just did not feel right.  

Some people argue medical conditions can justify using an e-bike. My medical conditions of fat, unfit and slow relegates me to the back of the field and I have to deal with that, but I will never consider an e-bike. 

If an e-bike is used by a marshal ect it should be clearly identified as such. There is a place for e-bikes, but not as part of the general race.

Unless the race organisers ban the use of e-bikes, there is nothing you can do to stop someone from riding one.

A good idea would be to create an e-bike class for races and not have them place with riders who ride unassisted.

I am pro ebikes on trails but when it comes to sporting events I feel a line should be drawn somewhere or at least look at a special category but even that I am not sure about.

Are we going to have a e-bike group in the 94.7 and Cycle Tour shortly as well?

Or maybe with the next para olympics a e-bike category?

Surely once you use mechanical assistance like e-bikes it becomes a different sport?

Let e-bikes have their own events, in normal cycling events it is just plain cheating.

Couldn't agree more here! I mean really, what's the point? What are you achieving by competing in a race with an e-bike!

Agreed there is a time and place for these.....things, but not at the races come on!

Surely once you use mechanical assistance like e-bikes it becomes a different sport?

Let e-bikes have their own events, in normal cycling events it is just plain cheating.

Suddenly mechanical doping makes much more sense.....

There was one at this year's Attakwas as well, not sure if if he did the long or short one, but he didn't compete for any prizes, it was someone with some sort of a disability, not exactly sure in what form but he was given the chance to live and ride a dream that many of us would like to do as well especially the long one which I am unable to train for because I work my longest hours and I am quite busy over December.

Good for him. 

Being busy and lack of training time don't qualify/equate as a disability or a reason to use an ebike though. 

Related:

Some dude is shredding KOMs here on an e-bike on the local trails

If he touches my two KOMs, I'm gonna puncture his e-bike

EDIT: It's not Die Muishond.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/4a/4a3e4f9e2c8194f18e6a0ed55ba9b0ccee9469efdb0a6fa08e51a282c0e0e200.jpg

I am pro ebikes on trails but when it comes to sporting events I feel a line should be drawn somewhere or at least look at a special category but even that I am not sure about.

Are we going to have a e-bike group in the 94.7 and Cycle Tour shortly as well?

Or maybe with the next para olympics a e-bike category?

I reckon there's should be regulations indeed during races.

Maybe a specific chute or group for e-bikes

Or start the next day.... :huh:

Archived