Light weight Wheels for heavy okes (29ers)

Schnozz

What wheel sets can us heavy Okes use. 95kgs up.

to go lite and reduce rolling mass for a heavy oke is the way to go but you don't want the thing to collapse on the first jump, bump, rock etc?

Any recommendations on rims, hubs, spokes and then, who is the best to build these for me?

Thanks

Schnozz

Have a look at the ZTR Arch / Arch EX's. Max weight is in the region of 105kg's

Edit: And if you have them built up, make sure you use a good wheel builder

Edited by El Dodgius Bastardo

I can only give you some anecdotal evidence, I bent my Dt Swiss 450 SL front wheel on Sabie I have replaced it with a Dt Swiss M520 which seemed to hold during Sani2c. Added 100g but I could not feel it.

I'm a skinny 98Kg's :) and are running ZTR Crest Wheels from a good wheel builder and no problems in almost 2 years

Everyone on this forum keeps saying the American Classics are "soft" but I've ridden mine for over a year with absolutely no issues and I weigh 98kgs on a good day. I think it all depends on your riding style...

Plus 1 for ZTR Arch, i'm on the wrong side of 100kg and been riding my for 8 months with no problems.

yup ZTR Arch EX, 10grams heavier than the crests and a hell of a lot stronger. If you value your teeth thats the way to go.

Everyone on this forum keeps saying the American Classics are "soft" but I've ridden mine for over a year with absolutely no issues and I weigh 98kgs on a good day. I think it all depends on your riding style...

A depends on what you ride, and your just above the weight limit. so depending on the spokes they used, you are a borderline ICU case, they may hold or they may not. Ive seen to many wheelsets buckle on Jeeptrack let alone ST. Strenght and rigidness over weight any day. then again JHB is not known for having hectic trails anyway so your probably safe.

Edited by covie

29er wheels can doe with some extra consideration. Generally built with the same number of spokes as their smaller 26er counterparts and using the same strength components, they are weaker by quite a bit.

The span between the spokes is longer, the spokes can flex more due to their added length (about 30mm longer, which equates to about 12%) and the rim material is generally the same. What I mean by this is that a cross section of a 26" rim is exactliy teh same as the equivalent 29" rim.

Although it is early days, I do feel that I'm seeing more 29" wheel failures from folding type accidents than I used to see on 26" wheels. That could just be a blib on the radar considering the small, erratic sample I work with but I'm suspiscious.

I think heavy okes should consider 36 spokes and not attempt to save to much weight on the wheels. 29" bikes by definition have to weigh more and it is silly to attempt to bring the weight down to that of a 26er.

29er wheels can doe with some extra consideration. Generally built with the same number of spokes as their smaller 26er counterparts and using the same strength components, they are weaker by quite a bit. The span between the spokes is longer, the spokes can flex more due to their added length (about 30mm longer, which equates to about 12%) and the rim material is generally the same. What I mean by this is that a cross section of a 26" rim is exactliy teh same as the equivalent 29" rim. Although it is early days, I do feel that I'm seeing more 29" wheel failures from folding type accidents than I used to see on 26" wheels. That could just be a blib on the radar considering the small, erratic sample I work with but I'm suspiscious. I think heavy okes should consider 36 spokes and not attempt to save to much weight on the wheels. 29" bikes by definition have to weigh more and it is silly to attempt to bring the weight down to that of a 26er.
Listen to Johan. A lot of rubbish about lighter wheels comes from twits working in bike shops. I bought alloy nipples(not because they are the best, just because I wanted to add a bit of colour) from a bike shop and specified 2mm nipples. I had to take them back because they were 1.8mm. The "race snake" in the shop asked why I want 2mm spokes, for they are so heavy. I tried to explain that a Revolution 2.0-1.5-2.0 spoke is not classified as heavy at all. I was not getting through to him. So I asked him just to do as I ask. I want 2mmx12mm nipples. So this dude carried on about his 1.4 kg 29er set. I asked him what spokes were used in his wheels if it was not heavyweight Revolutions... My advice? Remember that to get the weight of your wheels down to silly, you have to use silly light hubs as well. Like Tunes. Lightweight hubs use alloy freehubs. So the less light okes can break these with their torque and bodyweight. Rims like Crests have rider weight limits. So at least Arches. The chances of getting a robust 29er wheelset below 1.7kg is small. (Depending on your $$$ income) Edited by Goodbadugly

Depending on what weight you are talking about, I am 127kg and have found that the only wheel that have a reasonable weight limit is Easton, have a look at their rims they have a weight limit of 130kg..

I'm a skinny 98Kg's :) and are running ZTR Crest Wheels from a good wheel builder and no problems in almost 2 years

Same here. Also try mavic 719 with hope 2 hubs Edited by arendoog

A depends on what you ride, and your just above the weight limit. so depending on the spokes they used, you are a borderline ICU case, they may hold or they may not. Ive seen to many wheelsets buckle on Jeeptrack let alone ST. Strenght and rigidness over weight any day. then again JHB is not known for having hectic trails anyway so your probably safe.

Point taken - I keep the wheels on the ground most of the time. But, they've taken me through Berg & Bush and a few other fairly gnarly events without complaining. Manufacturers rider weight limit is 107kg so hopefully I can stay out of ICU...

Take a slightly bolder step and also consider the Stans Flow rims.

They are a bit heavier, but stronger, stiffer and you will be able to mount larger volume tyres and get good traction from this with a softer ride.

Spokes. JB would be the man to talk to